Veteran Volunteer and Friend for Hospice Patients
8 people are interested
Kindred Hospice is seeking Military Veteran volunteers to provide companionship and socialization to Veteran patients with life-limiting illnesses and their families in your community. Kindred's Chicago Southwest Region has worked hard to become a level IV partner with the We Honor Veterans program - a partnership between the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO), the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and hospices. This pioneering program focuses on respectful inquiry, compassionate listening and grateful acknowledgment. By recognizing the unique needs of America’s veterans and their families, our staff and our Veteran Volunteers learn how to accompany and guide veteran patients through their life stories toward a more peaceful ending.
There are many roles a Veteran Volunteer can take. Veteran volunteers may make visits to Veteran patients in which you provide companionship and socialization through activities, providing a caring presence, reminiscing or completing a life review. Alternately, a Volunteer may attend and help with or lead Veteran Pinning Ceremonies or assist with special projects that benefit the Veteran Community.
Being a Kindred Hospice volunteer means being part of an interdisciplinary team that focuses on the physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual needs of patients and their families. Kindred Hospice offers an extensive orientation and ongoing support for all of our volunteers.
We ask that Volunteers applying for this position:
- Be an honorable or general discharge from any branch of the United States Service (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Merchant Marines, National Guard, etc)
- Be willing to volunteer for 2-8 hours/month for a full year
- Be willing to get a background check (which includes fingerprinting), A Drug Test, a health Screen and a two step TB test.
We'll work with your schedule.
Aurora, Orland Park, Chicago, Lemont, YorkvilleLemont, Romeoville, Westmont, CiceroBolingbrook, Olympia Fields, Indian Head ParkNaperville, IL 60540
- Veteran Care
- Hospice Care
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Patient Care
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-8 Hours/month for a full year
- Fingerprinting Background Check (Requires social security #), Drug Screen, Physical and 2 step TB test