Description of Role
Field Trip Aides support students as they engage in exciting writing activities, from generative memoir prompts to creating stories from pictures. Field Trip Aides help students with ideas, answer questions, encourage them to add more elements (like detail, action, and dialogue), and of course, offer lots of praise for their amazing writing. Additionally, we often ask Field Trip Aides to do the writing exercises alongside the students so they can model what needs to be done and act as inspiration.
- Work with small groups of youth during field trips within the 826 Chicago facility
- Assist with writing steps using age-appropriate language and techniques
- Manage use of materials (scissors, glue, writing instruments) for safety
- Attend meeting 30 minutes prior to Field Trip for check-in and attendance
- Ability to manage groups of 4 - 6 youth independently
- Ability to engage youth and lead conversations
- Experience working with children and writing is a plus, but not a requirement
- Imagination and excitement!
- A love of writing is a plus but not required
- Field Trips are Tuesdays - Fridays, from 9:15 am - 12:15 pm. (Some trips may go until 1:15 pm)
- 8 - 10 Volunteers are needed to successfully run each field trip.
Commitment to Inclusion:
As an organization committed to encouraging youth in their creative expression, personal growth, and academic success, 826CHI recognizes the importance of diversity at all levels and in all aspects of our work. In order to build and maintain the safe, supportive 826 environments in which great leaps of learning occur, we commit to inclusion: we will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, language, parental status, military service, or (dis)ability. We strive to put our values into action through planning, decision making, and community building.
- Literacy / Reading
- Community Outreach
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Interested volunters must submit an application at https://www.826chi.org/volunteer-form