Field Trip Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
1 person is interested
Description of Role
Field Trip volunteers support students as they engage in exciting writing activities, from generative memoir prompts to creating stories from pictures. They help students with ideas, answer questions, encourage them to add more elements (like detail, action, and dialogue), and of course, offer lots of praise for their amazing writing. Additionally, we often ask Field Trip Aides to do the writing exercises alongside the students so they can model what needs to be done and act as inspiration.
- Work with small groups of youth during field trips within the 826 Chicago facility
- Assist with writing steps using age-appropriate language and techniques
- Manage use of materials (scissors, glue, writing instruments) for safety
- Attend meeting 30 minutes prior to Field Trip for check-in and attendance
- Ability to engage youth and lead conversations
- Experience working with children and writing is a plus, but not a requirement
- Imagination and excitement!
- Field Trips are Tuesdays - Fridays, from 9:15 am - 12:15 pm. (Some trips may go until 1:15 pm)
- 8 - 10 Volunteers are needed to successfully run each field trip.
We'll work with your schedule.
1276 N. Milwaukee Ave.Chicago, IL 60622
- Literacy / Reading
- Community Outreach
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Interested volunters must submit an application at https://www.826chi.org/volunteer-form