5 people are interested
Description of Role:
826CHI is packed four afternoons a week with students in 1st through 8th grade working on their homework and sharpening their creative writing skills. Volunteer tutors help students with any and all homework assignments and lead students in daily creative and expository writing activities. Student writing created during tutoring is published in small chapbooks throughout the year, and we regularly host student readings for parents, tutors, and families.
- Set daily goals with students
- Guide student responses to a creative writing prompt or "Writing Rally,"
- Assist students with their homework
- Help them read, socialize and play board games.
- Three times a year, students revise their writing and publish their work in a chapbook. To celebrate their writing, we host a party where students read their published work aloud to an audience of volunteers, staff, family, and community members. Tutors are highly encouraged to attend.
- Ability to manage and tutor a small group of 2-3 students independently
- Ability to engage youth
- Open to experience working with diverse cultures.
- Patience and flexibility
- An eagerness to work with young people
- A willingness to listen to young people and have fun with them
- Passion for the betterment of youth and enjoys working with people of all ages.
- Former tutoring or teaching experience a plus!
- Tutoring runs Monday-Thursday from 3:30-6:30 pm.
- Tutors in 826CHI’s After-School Tutoring & Writing program are encouraged to sign up so as many consecutive week as possible.
- Tutors come in on a recurring weekly or bi-weekly basis between 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm.
- Training entails shadowing an experienced tutor for a day, reading the Tutor Presentation, and completing a brief survey.
We'll work with your schedule.
1276 N. Milwaukee Ave.Chicago, IL 60622
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Interested volunteers must submit an application at https://www.826chi.org/volunteer-form