Help Refugees! Teach Cultural Orientation!
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where2021 N 60th StMilwaukee, WI 53208
For newly arrived refugees, cultural orientation (CO) classes provide them with the knowledge and confidence they need to start their new lives in Milwaukee. Utilizing the Making Your Way curriculum, volunteers teach refugees from Burma and the Congo the basics of living in the US, including housing, health care, personal finances, employment, education, and cultural adjustment. CO is designed to be an interactive, hands-on class so that refugees feel comfortable asking questions and getting to know each other and their teachers. Interpretation into refugee languages is provided.
- Lead classes using current curriculum, adapting to meet current students as necessary
- Develop new lessons and materials as needed
- Incorporate appropriate English vocabulary into lessons
- Assist in leading field trips to community places (ex: pharmacy, health clinic, library, grocery store, bank, etc.)
- Create a welcoming atmosphere that encourages active student participation and questions
- Maintain records of attendance
- Report classroom activities after each session
- Act as an ambassador for American culture and the city of Milwaukee
Education and/or Experience
- Experience with teaching, instruction, or training
- Experience working with limited English speakers OR
- Experience living overseas for an extended period of time (ex: exchange student, studying or working abroad), a plus
- Patient and friendly personality, open to learning about new cultures
- Hours Available: Wednesday and Thursday 9:30-10:30 am
- Ongoing, one to two shifts per weeK
Interested? Apply here!
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour per shift, 30 minute prep time