Arcadia Center for Sustainable Food & Agriculture seeks Farm Education Volunteers to assist with the Arcadia Farm Field Trip Program which teaches students about the origins of healthy food. Field Trips help students in grades Pre-K-5 th make the connection that fresh food comes from the earth through hands-on, farm-based learning. Trips familiarize students with new fruits and vegetables that grow in the DC Metro area so that they will be more likely to eat those healthy foods when they see them in the cafeteria or at home.
Farm Education Volunteers help make Field Trips safe, educational and fun. They help monitor the space, provide instruction during trips, and assist with general garden maintenance.
Commitment ofone-two day/week from April 12 - June 1, 2018. This is a 5 hour/week minimum commitment under the guidance of our Farm Education Manager. Volunteers commit to one or two of our three Field Trip days: either Thursday or Friday from 9:00am-2:30pm (Wednesday slots are also available for 3-4 volunteers). Please note: a mandatory volunteer training (2 days) will take place before the Spring 2018 Field Trip season begins. Dates for training will be March 30, and April 5 or 6th.
- Desire to work with children (preK-5) in an outdoor school setting
- Experience working with youth, especially in an outdoor environment
- Dynamic, energetic personality
- Desire to learn about sustainable growing practices and food education
- Creativity, enthusiasm and a sense of humor
- Must be able to work outdoors in various weather conditions and lift 50 lbs
- First Aid/CPR certification is a plus
- Must be able to pass a background check
- BONUS: Spanish speakers!
Arcadia is committed to providing quality, on-site training and learning experiences to our volunteers. Volunteers receive training in farm-based education techniques, sustainable growing techniques, and much more.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a note describing your interest and relevant experience. Email Farm Education Manager, Ivy Mitchell, firstname.lastname@example.org, using "Farm Education Volunteer Application" as the subject by March 16, 2018.
Note: We are in desperate need of Thursday volunteers!
- Child Development
- Outdoor Recreation
- Math / Science Instruction
- Environmental Education
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 1 day a week/5 hours a week