We are seeking a responsible, dynamic and resourceful School Operations Manager to oversee, coordinate and supervise the daily operations of a Boarding School Residence in the city of Siem Reap, Cambodia. This is a unique opportunity to volunteer with 21 Cambodian teenager students, 2 local staff and teachers, occasional expat volunteers, 2 lovely dogs and be in charge of the well-being and safety of all people living and working at the school facilities.Volunteer Project Brief
- Our partner is a Boarding School Residence in the city of Siem Reap, Cambodia looking for a trusted and hands-on Operations Manager to supervise the daily operations of their Boarding School.
- Ideal for individuals with experience in running a range of operations, with professional background in business, international development, education and not for profit management.
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months, maximum 24 months commitment
- Start Dates:Project is ongoing, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability.
- Included : pick up from airport, accommodation, meals, transportation
- Founded in 2014, the Boarding School is a grassroots, USA registered, non-profit education reality focused on educating less-fortunate children from the Kulen Mountain, a rural area 45 minutes’ drive from Siem Reap, Cambodia. They offer free boarding school facilities to selected Cambodian students who have graduated from their two countryside primary schools and are continuing their education at the public secondary school in the City and are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students.
- Typical working hours will be from 08.00 to 05.00, from Monday to Friday, with a two-hour lunch break. However, we would ask for the flexibility to be on call 24/7, in case of unplanned emergencies.
- Your will take care and supervise the daily operations of the Boarding School facility, which is housing 21 Cambodian teenager students, 2 local staff and teachers, occasional expat volunteers and 2 lovely dogs! You will ensure all people live peacefully in a safe, secure and nurturing environment. From time to time, it will also require coordinating transportation, overseeing events and helping students with their studies.
You will report directly to the Organization’s Managing Director and work in partnership with the Program Manager.
- Onsite Facility Supervision
Oversee the daily operations of the Boarding School. This primarily involves ensuring the security and safety on the premise. It will also require overseeing and delegating tasks to keep the school clean, functional and suitable for the students to live at. You will help administer finances for repairs, maintenance, student needs and any other bills the school incurs. You will also be responsible for a simple monthly submission of a monthly expenditure record.
While most of our students are self-sufficient, from time-to-time, the position will require overseeing the well-being of the students. Duties include supervision of boarders’ personal hygiene, reporting any cases of illness to the Program Manager, ensuring that any medication required by a boarder is recorded and dispensed appropriately, checking the facility before retiring for the night, and monitoring the whereabouts and activities of students.
The School has a small volunteer program where at various times we have 1-3 short term volunteers for 3-5 week periods. Working with the Program Manager, you will help ensure their stay is comfortable at the school in Siem Reap, supervise them during their stay and help them get involved in our program.
The School also has prospect or actual donors visiting their facilities from time to time. Your duties will also require short tours of the school by interested parties.
- Expanding your professional skills in an international context, honing your super visioning , operations management and people’s management skills
- Going beyond your comfort zone - You will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues and how you can personally influence positive change in the lives of Cambodian people.
- Learning opportunityin how a locally rooted not for profit organization handles the complex issues surrounding education of minors living in a disadvantaged environment a developing country
- Becoming a world citizen - You will live and work in a World Heritage town
- As we operate on the ground in Cambodia, our goal is to offer you a meaningful, worthwhile volunteer experience at the most reasonable cost possible.
- With only $480 project fee per month, we will help you organize and plan from start to finish your volunteers experience
What is included?
- Assist you in making the most of your volunteer experience
We will coordinate the drafting and signature of a Volunteer Project Scope of Work prior to your departure, to ensure method of work, goals, outcomes and, overall, your volunteer experience is meaningful and aligned with your expectations.
- Assist you in getting ready
For your trip, we will help you organize and plan everything you will need from start to finish. This includes provide advice regarding flight, visas, vaccinations, insurance, cost of living, essential items and anything else you will need before you set off.
- Welcome you onboard
We pick you up at the Siem Reap airport upon your arrival and bring you to our Boarding School
We offer a cultural induction, a child protection policy induction and connect you with any other support you may need to settle in
- Provide you with free accommodation & free meals
- 1 comfortable single bedroom with Air Conditioning located within the School facilities. The school is located in central Siem Reap and is close to many restaurants and cafes.
- Personal bathroom with shower
- Weekly change of bed linen and towels
- Onsite laundry facility
- 2 meals a day, cooked at our school kitchen facility - we can also accommodate vegan and vegetarian requirements
IMPORTANT : As part of your volunteering duties, you are requested to reside at the proposed accommodation, which is within the Boarding School facilities
Other benefits we offer you to make your staying more comfortable
- A bicycle
- A local SIM card
- Advise and help on getting your visa extended or renovated
- Reference letter - At the completion of your volunteering, we will provide you with a valuable reference to showcase your professional impact whilst here in Cambodia.
What is not included?
You will need to cover the cost on your own on flights, insurance, vaccinations, visa
- Minimum age: In order to join the project, you need to be at least 24 years old on the program start date.
- Work Experience : At least 3 years work experience relevant to the volunteer project (e.g. operations manager, health & safety manager). Former experience as educator, teacher or boarding school manager is a plus.
- Language Skills : You need to speak English (fluently)
- Education Requirements: Educated to degree level or equivalent those without a degree and with relevant experience and expertise may also apply
- Nationality Restrictions: No restrictions. Volunteers from all over the world are welcome.
- Other Skills : International driving license and/or ability to drive a scooter - nice to have
- Suitable for: Singles, (no groups, no families)
- Criminal record check that proof you have no former issues dealing with minors
- References from at least 2 previous employers
- Photocopy of qualifications
- Copy of passport
- Copy of health and travel insurance
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Excellent people management skills - Able to empathize and communicate effectively with diverse set of people, with a friendly and outgoing personality
- Sound decision maker - mature, who can show evidence of wisdom and sound judgment
- Action oriented - "roll-up-mysleeves" attitude, energetic, Independent, self-reliable and resourceful
- Flexible - able to adapt and fit in a different culture
- Strong work ethic - aligned with the values of the school and keen on promoting/safeguarding the welfare our students
- Good sense of humor... always helps !
Free Time Activities
- Siem Reap and the surrounding countryside has a variety of different activities for visitors and expats living in the area. Activities range from visiting the world’s largest temples at Angkor Wat, stop by a local countryside farm where you’ll learn how to cook traditional Khmer food, check into a local yoga retreat for a relaxing stay, lounge poolside at the many resorts in Siem Reap or take a trip to Kulen Mountain where you’ll find an abundance of pristine wildlife. Siem Reap also has a bustling art/cultural scene with events happening almost every weekend.