Destination Imagination tournaments are FUN! Depending upon your background, experience and interest, you will be assigned to one of 7 types of Challenges to appraise. They range from mechanical engineering, structural engineering, general science, fine arts, service learning or Instant Challenge (thinking on your feet).
Appraisers get to see teams perform and evaluate their solutions to the defined scoring rubrics. We teach you want you need to know in a 2 part-process. You take an on-line orientation (about an hour) after you sign up, then attend an in-person training the morning of April 7th. Here you get to meet the rest of the Appraisal team and become comfortable with your assigned role. We always have a mix of experienced Appraisers and new recruits.
An appraiser must:
- Understand and value the creative process as it relates to Destination Imagination [this is covered in the on-line training].
- Know the rules in the Challenge and the Rules of the Road [you will receive a packet to read and the rest is covered in the morning of April 7th].
- Enjoy working with young people and have a good sense of humor.
- Be committed to learning as much as possible about the assigned Challenge and not be afraid to ask questions if you don’t understand something.
- Be punctual and honor the commitment to attend training and the tournament.
- Be comfortable working as part of a team.
- Not mind getting down on the floor, if necessary, to examine a creation or to get a better view of a Presentation.
- Be able to appraise without bias towards or against specific teams and/or themes.
- Appreciate creativity in all its forms.
We provide a t-shirt, breakfast and lunch for the day. Come join in the FUN!
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Theater Arts
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Full day commitment
- completion of on-line training prior to April 7th