Summary of Position
Longfellow House-Washington’s Headquarters NHS preserves the home of Henry W. Longfellow, one of the world’s foremost 19 th century poets. Additionally, the house served as General George Washington’s first headquarters of the American Revolution, from 1775-1776.
This position is a great way to get experience working with visitors at a National Park. The volunteer will assist with the daily operation of the site and engage with people from all over the world. Training for various duties will be provided.Duties
- Staffs NPS visitor center with minimal supervision, orienting visitors to the site’s offerings.
- Accurately uses daily log to keep track of site visitation and statistics.
- Answers the phone in a professional manner.
- Operates cash register accurately to make sales.
- Engages in self-directed study to increase content knowledge about the site operations, history, and programs offered throughout the season.
- Observes all rules procedures and safety guidelines.
- Additional opportunities: staffing Family Sunday events, setting up for summer concerts and poetry readings, roving the grounds/garden and informally talking to visitors about site’s history.
- Tracks volunteer hours reliably and accurately.
- Wears the NPS volunteer uniform in clean and professional manner.
- Comfortable with speaking informally with visitors of all ages, backgrounds, and nationalities. Previous experience working at a museum or similar institution a plus.
- Must be available for a shift during open hours (Wednesday-Sundays, May-October)
- For duties beyond working in the visitor center, volunteer should be able to work outside in variable weather for at least two hours at a time.
This is an unpaid, temporary position.
- Office Reception
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- At least 2 hours a week, Wednesday-Sunday