Overview of Education Services:
Volunteering in Education Services offers a wonderful opportunity for someone interested in immigration and social justice issues to become part of a team of people dedicated to helping immigrants integrate smoothly into their new communities. This is a great opportunity for someone to make a positive difference in the lives of many immigrants and to learn new skills and to gain a deep appreciation for a diverse range of cultures. Education Services provides many services, including ESOL classes, Citizenship Education, and Career Advancement classes. The ability to build relationships with a diverse range of people is key for any role in this department. The IIIC is committed to delivering quality and innovative services in a compassionate, sensitive, and respectful manner.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
- ESOL/Citizenship Instructor/Tutor (individual or small group)
- Mon through Thursday, AM (9:30AM-noon) and PM (6:30-8:30) tutors needed
- ESOL/Citizenship Teachers and Class Assistants
- We are always looking for PM (6-8:30pm) lead teachers and class assistants
- Conversation Class Facilitator (starting in June for the summer)
- We will be running 2 classes per evening, from 6-8pm, on both Monday and Wednesday evening. Volunteers can do one evening class per week but ideally, we are looking for volunteers who can commit to two evening classes per week.
Days/Times: See above - both AM and PM classes will be offered, so please reply with your preferred availability.
- Tutor students preparing for the naturalization exam
- Provide instruction in basic ESOL, civics, geography, U.S. History, and interview prep for the N400.
- Basic lesson planning, in coordination with the already in place curriculum
- Strong U.S. History, Civics, U.S Geography background
- ESOL teaching experience, preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable teaching multi-level, English learners
- Ability to speak English fluently, required
Please note class assistants do not need all of the above skills and qualification. They must possess a desire to assist immigrants, and have experience in some of the above - they do not need to have ESOL teaching experience.
Conversation Class Facilitator
- Co-facilitate English conversation class on various topics
- Engage each student verbally to strengthen spoken English proficiency
- Create a warm and comfortable environment so all participants feel welcomed
- Co-teach pronunciation, vocabulary development, and sentence structure to English language learners
- Experience with English language learners highly desired
- Commitment to upholding the IIIC’s high standard of quality education
- Bilingual preferred, but not required
- Excellent communication skills
How to Apply:
Please email your resume to email@example.com if you are interested. We look forward to hearing from you.
About The Irish International Immigrant Center:
The Irish International Immigrant Center (IIIC) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1989 by a group of Irish immigrants committed to helping others make successful transitions to new lives in the U.S. and greater Boston. Our mission is to assist immigrants from around the world as they integrate into American society. We are a vibrant, multi-service center that provides legal, wellness and education services, advocates for systemic change, and facilitates cross-cultural community building. Our vision is of a shared society where all people are welcomed and valued and enjoy equal opportunities, protections, and respect.
Today, the Center’s programs assist at least 3,000 individuals from more than 120 countries each year, most of whom are low-income and underserved. They range from recent refugees who are victims of persecution to long-time residents seeking U.S. citizenship. We are well known in the immigrant community for our integrated multi-service approach. Together, our dedicated staff and volunteers create a safe and welcoming place for our constituents.
For more information on the Irish International Immigrant Center, please visit www.iiicenter.org.
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Cross-cultural Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- flexible - different openings listed above
- must be patient and love working with adult immigrants