Create a warm and welcoming home for a refugee family
WhenSat Sep 01, 2018 08:00 AM - Fri Nov 30, 2018 06:00 PM
Where4419 N. RavenswoodChicago, IL 60645
Heartland Alliance’s Refugee and Immigrant Community Services office needs your help!
Our Case Management team needs reliable members to assist in delivering and setting up housing items for our newly-arrived participants. After exhaustive travel, it is so important for our families to arrive to a furnished apartment that will be their first 'home' in Chicago.
As a Case Management volunteer, you might find yourself driving out to donation sites to load up our van with household goods, purchasing furniture and household items with agency funds, helping to set up brand new apartments, and assembling furniture for refugees. Volunteers must be comfortable lifting furniture and working with basic tools to assemble furniture. Items include beds, couches, kitchen tables, chairs, desks, dressers, and decorations.
Set-ups depend on arrivals that week. The volunteer coordinator will reach out once housing is confirmed to see if you are available to assist with setting up the apartment. Set-ups are usually during 9-5 business hours.
- Collect donations
- Assist in transporting, moving, and setting up large and medium sized items
- Assemble Furniture
- Work with volunteer coordinator and donations organizer to create better storing, collection, and moving systems
- Commit roughly 3-5 hours per month during 9-5pm business hours.
- Optional - have a driver’s license and a clean driving record so that you can be screened and authorized to drive Heartland company vehicles.
- Obtain $18 background check and attend a volunteer orientation
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training