Create a home for a refugee
WhenTue Mar 06, 2018 08:00 AM - Sun Sep 30, 2018 06:00 PM
Where4419 N. RavenswoodChicago, IL 60626
Heartland Alliance’s Refugee and Immigrant Community Services office needs your help.
Our move-in crew needs strong and reliable members to assist in delivering and setting up housing items for our newly-arrived participants. The move-in crew serves a crucial role in actively setting up participants for success in their life in Chicago. After much transition and exhaustive travel, it is important to arrive to a furnished and clean place to call home.
Drive out to donation sites to load up our van with household goods, purchase furniture and household items with agency funds, help set up brand new apartments, and assemble furniture for refugees. Volunteers must be able to lift at least 25 pounds easily. Items include beds, couches, kitchen tables, chairs, desks, dressers, and decorations.
Set-ups usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays. However, short-notice arrivals may also be cause for move-ins on other days. Safety belts, gloves, and lifting harnesses can be provided.
- Collect donations
- Assist in transporting, moving, and setting up large and medium sized items
- Assemble Furniture
- Work with volunteer coordinator and donations organizer to create better storing, collection, and moving systems
- Commit roughly 3-5 hours per week during 9-5pm business hours
- Optional- have a driver’s license and a clean driving record so that you can be screened and authorized to drive Heartland company vehicles.
- Obtain $18 background check and attend a volunteer orientation
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- at least 3 hours a week
- Have fun while doing good:...
- Help refugee kids with homework...
- Tutor Refugee Adults in English...
- Befriend a newly arrived refugee...
- Become a Tutor for ESL Students!
- Be a crucial part of a refugee...
- Create a home for a refugee
- Create a home for a refugee...
- Help teach our youngest...
- Become a Women's Empowerment...
- Male mentors! Mentor a refugee boy