It is our mission to provide at-risk youth who are striving to transform their lives with the education and career training needed to become economically self-sufficient. YouthBuild Lake County is located in North Chicago, Illinois, a suburb located 35 miles north of the city of Chicago.
For consideration, please submit your resume AND a cover letter that speaks to the reason you wish to apply for an AmeriCorps Vista position. Please thoroughly read the entire job description below before applying.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position as an AmeriCorps member of YouthBuild Lake County as the Instructional Aide. AmeriCorps members are responsible for assisting program teachers and staff in improving the literacy and numeracy skills, as well as content-specific areas, of program participants as these participants study to achieve a high school diploma and career credentials, assisting participants with job readiness and job placement services, and providing support to participants around college readiness.
The AmeriCorps Instructional Aide position is open to those who wish to participate in the AmeriCorps Program. Please visit http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps for information about AmeriCorps.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide individual guidance to students in Career Readiness, Reading, and Mathematics
- Provide small group facilitation of classroom activities to support skill acquisition in Career Readiness components
- Assist teachers with classroom activities
- Assist with job readiness training to all YouthBuild participants
- Provide guidance to all YouthBuild participants about possible careers and college placement
- Participate in YouthBuild Lake County, YouthBuild USA, and AmeriCorps training, service projects, and other activities
- Assist with the planning and/or implementation of a project on a designated national day of service such as September 11th National Day of Service & Remembrance, Make A Difference Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; Global Youth Service Day and AmeriCorps Week
- Promote service learning within the classroom
Qualifications and Skills
Must be at least 17 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED, and be a US Citizen, US National, or lawful permanent resident of the US.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organized and ability to manage details efficiently and effectively.
- Computer proficient, including MS Word and Excel.
- Flexibility, patience, tolerance and willingness to learn new related skills.
- Experience in management and motivation of volunteers a plus.
- A basic understanding of YouthBuild Lake County and commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Committed to the concept of national service and to making a difference in the community.
Instructional Aide AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance of $18,000 paid out over the term of service, and health insurance if they are not already covered. Members may also qualify for child care allowance.
Upon successful completion of service, members receive an education award of $5,920 . Other benefits include student loan deferment, professional training, valuable networking opportunities, serving with a dedicated team of AmeriCorps members and staff, and the opportunity to make a real difference.
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- 40 hours per week