LEAD CANCER ADVOCACY EFFORTS!!!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
3 people are interested
San Jose Fights Cancer! - American Cancer Society Relay For Life
We are looking for volunteers with leadership qualities, a desire to change the world and a passionate dislike of cancer. We’re looking for long term, hands on, rock star volunteers who want more than a 1 day gig passing out water to runners. Relay For Life is planned, manned and produced by an Event Leadership Team of volunteers from the community where the event is held. We invest in our volunteers through group training and 1-on-1 coaching from an American Cancer Society staff member. As the single largest fundraising event in the world, you get to be part of something pretty spectacular. No experience necessary, however, a go-getter attitude is essential!
ACS CAN LEADER:
The primary responsibility of the ACS CAN leader is to recruit ACS CAN members and engage Relay For Life participants in fighting back through advocacy.
The ACS CAN (American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network(tm)) leader educates Relay For Life participants and the community about legislative efforts aimed to eradicate cancer and to recruit a grassroots army of advocacy volunteers. Learn more here: www.ACSCAN.org
SPECIFIC TASKS CAN INCLUDE:
- Ask the Event Leadership Team, Team Captains, participants, volunteers, and community to take action on the Society’s legislative priorities and ACS CAN materials and resources
- Ensure that Event Leadership Team includes and considers advocacy education and activation in their plans by including ACS CAN education, celebrations, and member recruitment in their agenda when Relay participants are gathered.
- Communicate and disseminate materials provided from ACS CAN to help raise awareness about cancer-related legislative priorities and to recruit ACS CAN members
- Be willing to help mobilize Relay participants on ACS CAN’s legislative priorities, be able to articulate the benefits of becoming a member of ACS CAN, and be sure all Event Leadership Team members and Team Captains can do the same
- Collaborate with registration leaders and accounting leaders to track ACS CAN membership forms/fees
- Recruit Event Leadership Team, Team Captains, participants, and volunteers to join ACS CAN
- Become an ACS CAN member
- Promote ACS CAN membership and work with recognition lead to recognize current and new members
So...at this point you may be wondering...WHAT IS RELAY FOR LIFE?
At Relay For Life events, communities across the globe come together to honor cancer survivors, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against a disease that has already taken too much. This community event is held on a local high school track or park and consists of inspiring ceremonies, activities and fun, and teams of friends, families, and co-workers coming together to finish the fight against cancer! The funds raised truly make a difference in the fight against cancer - just ask one of the nearly 14 million cancer survivors who will celebrate another birthday this year! Each Relay For Life event is special to its community, but the movement's true power lies in the combined commitment of thousands of participants, volunteers, and supporters to help the American Cancer Society save lives from cancer.
Here in San Jose, we have two upcoming events - Relay For Life of Cambrian April 27 - 28 th 6 pm to 6pm at Leigh High School and Relay For Life of Greater San Jose on May 5 th 9 am to 10 pm at Almaden Lake Park. Commitment requires regular check ins with your team lead and/or ACS staff member (in person, over the phone or via email) during Relay Season (September-August.. However we really ramp up in January!) and 2-3 hours a week of additional volunteer efforts. Schedule of work is up to you. For more information on Relay For Life and/or the American Cancer Society, please visit www.relayforlife.org or www.cancer.org
Sound like something you'd be great at?? Perhaps you'd only like a bite-size piece of this role?? Perhaps you & a family member or a friend interested in working on this together?? We would LOVE to chat & truly look forward to working with you to create a world without cancer!!!!
Contact: Evan.Frazer@cancer.org or Call us at 408-688-0104
Sign up as a participant, survivor, and/or team for Relay For Life of Greater San Jose at www.relayforlife.org/greatersanjoseca
We'll work with your schedule.
Entire Community of San JoseSan Jose, CA 95120
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 3-4 hours per week