One on One Computer Educator: Minneapolis
5 people are interested
Purpose of Role: Provide one on one computer education to Supervisors in the Health & Human Services Adult Behavioral Health (ABH) program. ABH is a service component providing case management services to individuals who are civilly committed and have severe and persistent mental illness and/or are chemically dependent. Staff are extremely busy with supervising other staff and performing case management. As a result, being able to learn and/or teach oneself various computer skills to complete daily work and projects is lacking. Volunteers will create a 'curriculum’ or plan based off the customers’ (HC Supervisor in this case) needs and skillsets.
- Meet with customer to understand their knowledge, skillsets, and what they are hoping to learn regarding (possibly all but not limited to): Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, iPhone capabilities, computer hardware and software capabilities, etc.
- Agree upon an ongoing schedule for when volunteer will meet with customer on a regular basis.
- Create a personalized 'curriculum’ or plan based on customer’s needs, skillset, and learning style.
- Communicate regularly with customer and Coordinator of Volunteers regarding schedule, curriculum, hours, and updates.
- Coaching on IT related topics.
- Proficient knowledge regarding (but not limited to): Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, iPhone capabilities, computer hardware and software capabilities, etc.
- Excellent written and oral English communication and ability to use/create visual aids for teaching
- Ability to create an individualized 'curriculum’ or plan based on customer’s skillsets and needs from scratch
- Ability to teach someone about computer and IT related topics
- Possesses and expresses patience and empathy for customers
- Acts professionally in a work environment
- Must be 18 years or older and pass a standard background check
- Experience (formally or informally) teaching specifically adults about computer and IT related topics
- Possesses flexibility, a sense of humor, and ability to go with the flow
- Schedule is based off customer’s availability. So volunteer must be able to find a common meeting time approximately once a week for 1-2 hours.
- Volunteer would preferably be able to commit to at least 3 months and/or at least when the customer finishes the desired 'curriculum’.
Supervision: Volunteer is supervised by Coordinator of Volunteers and/or possibly the customer’s supervisor/manager.
- Volunteers gain experience assisting staff in a county government health & human services department.
- Volunteers will be able to strengthen their teaching skills
- Volunteers experience the positive feelings of being able to contribute to the mission of Hennepin County and making sure staff are able to better do their job.
- Volunteers have the opportunities to meet other collaterals from various disciplines of practice.
- Volunteers can be reimbursed for mileage expense pertaining to the assignment if requested and have free off and on-street parking
- A letter of recommendation can be written upon request after completion of project
- Opportunities to receive free entrance to Science Museum and Omni Theater throughout the year
- Opportunities to participate in free Hennepin County trainings throughout the year.
- 612-348-9900 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll work with your schedule.
1800 Chicago AveMinneapolis, MN 55404
- IT Help Desk
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- IT Consulting
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 1-2 hours a week until curriculum is done