Healthy Schools International is a 7-year old, all volunteer, 501(c)3 nonprofit. To date we’ve been pretty self-organizing with a working board. We are at the point where, in order to grow and mature, we need some specialized positions. The Volunteer Manager is a key position in our organization.
Primary goal: Establish a volunteer management program which delights volunteers, breeds loyalty and high performance for meeting our mission.
Vision: The volunteer (perhaps a team of two) will identify the processes key to volunteer management, assess their level of effectiveness (with measurable data when available and value added), prioritize improvement/maintenance efforts, and provide guidance to the execution of those efforts.
- Act as the HR Director for an all-volunteer organization; supporting the Executive Director in recruiting and interviewing volunteers.
- Collect and record information on volunteers (currently fewer than 10), their talents/interests and availability (CRM is DonorSnap). For active volunteers, tracking volunteer hours.
- Level of commitment:
- Time - Verify volunteers’ time constraints when agreeing about assignments.
- Level of responsibility - self-starter and leader of volunteer participation (think head of HR) and recruiting
- Location - virtual is possible; DC/MD/VA area optimum. In many cases volunteers can be virtual.
- If not recruiting for specific function, query volunteers about their talent/ interest/ knowledge base/location/time commitments. Assign projects, and roles and responsibilities, accordingly (with HR Director).
- Train and monitor volunteers
- Provide instruction about roles/project(s) and on-boarding/orientation.
- Prioritize volunteer’s assignments (validate with stakeholders), with schedules for responsibilities.
- Consistently monitor work and designated projects.
- Provide regular follow-up instruction. Encourage questions; help with any problem solving/assistance needed to help complete projects within timeline.
- Offer lessons learned and positive recognition.
- Confirm volunteers’ comfort level and continued interest in assigned projects. Verify general motivation and commitment level/ availability.
- Create & update tools/templates, including: volunteer handbook, position descriptions, checklists, etc.
- Receive training for self on job responsibilities & organization’s mission, values, culture as part of on-boarding.
- Experience recruiting, hiring, training and monitoring/supervising volunteers, virtually and locally.
- Motivated. Communicates effectively with Human Resources Manager and organization’s leadership, in addition to volunteers.
- Enjoys working cross-culturally with volunteers with different skills, responsibilities and time constraints.
- Communicates effectively via different modes of technology.
- Cares about international development, girl power, education, sustainability.
- Performance Management
- Human Resources Recruitment
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 10 hours/week with some "surges"
- Consistent access to computer and Internet for video teleconference and other communications