The Ed Bohrer Parent Resource Center (PRC), a program of Family Services, Inc., is looking for a volunteer ESOL teacher to teach 1-2 adult classes (low-high beginners) starting at the end of March/early April and lasting for 10 weeks.
- Knowledge of ESOL teaching methods and techniques
- Is organized, dependable and flexible
- Is committed to and able to serve a diverse community, and has an understanding of the diversity of learning styles, cultures, backgrounds and adult-learner needs
- Certification in ESOL teaching and/or ESOL teaching experience a plus but not required
- Age 21 and older
Key responsibilities include:
- Weekly preparation for and teaching of English language skills class
- Tracking of student progress
- Regular communication with the Parent Resource Center director
- Maintaining strict confidentiality
Classes meet once a week for 1-2 hours, and the 10 weeks session should start at the end of March or beginning of April. Classes can be held during the later day or evenings.
Volunteers are asked to commit to a year of service to Family Services, teaching a minimum of 2 class sessions over the course of that year. All accepted volunteers need to submit of completed FSI Volunteer Application, attend an FSI new volunteer orientation, complete a background check and offer 2 references.
For more specific information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-840-3183.
Located at Gaithersburg Elementary School, the Ed Bohrer Parent Resource Center (PRC) serves Spanish and English speaking people as they pursue educational goals for themselves and their children as well as access needed services in the community.
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours/week for 10 weeks
- FSI volunteer application