Reforestation Crew Chief/Forest Steward
3 people are interested
The Gunpowder Valley Conservancy (GVC) is a non-profit land trust and watershed organization based in Baltimore County. We are looking for outgoing, reliable, and hard-working persons to supervise a crew of 6-12 volunteers (ages 8 and up) during tree planting and/or tree maintenance projects for 3 hours.
This is an unpaid position. Must be able to commit to one Saturday tree planting, and up to 6 plantings each planting season (spring/fall).
Must be age 18+ and provide own transportation. Younger volunteers (16 - 17 year olds) will be considered with parent's permission.
Must be in good physical condition - able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs., dig holes, hammer stakes into ground, and walk for long distances in fields and woods.
Other aspects of volunteer position:
- Learn and follow the Gunpowder Valley Conservancy planting and tree maintenance procedures and policies
- Educate volunteers on the benefits of planting trees
- Demonstrate to a volunteer group the proper techniques of planting trees
- Arrive around 8:30 am or later to set up for tree plantings, and to stay until 1:30 pm to clean up at end of planting
- Work in all kinds of weather (rain or shine, cold or hot)
- Optional: Assist with or adopt 200 or more trees to maintain 1x a year.
Various sites in Baltimore CountyTowson, MD 21286
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- At least 3 hours per planting season (spring/fall)