Position Description :
Asylum Access, an innovative nonprofit dedicated to realizing refugee rights in the Africa, Asia and Latin America through legal services, policy advocacy and public education, seeks a Donor Relations Intern to support the Development Department at its headquarters location in Oakland, CA.
Fundraising, whether through grassroots supporters, major donors, grants or corporate gifts will always be a vital asset for the ultimate success and implementation of a nonprofit’s mission. Our Development Department is responsible for increasing the financial resources of Asylum Access to support and empower our staff, programs, and advocacy around the world. Among other special projects, the intern will provide support in the planning, research, and preparation needed to launch a young professionals network in late 2018 or early 2019, tentatively titled Asylum Access Global Advocates.
The Donor Relations Intern will learn the inner mechanics of the fundraising efforts of an international nonprofit organization while supporting our global leadership on a wide variety of development and administrative tasks. Projects may range from micro-level support to brainstorming and problem-solving, but all tasks will develop creative problem-solving skills and require development of effective real-world solutions. The intern will participate in cutting-edge refugee rights movement-building while working in a fast-paced, but supportive working environment and receive professional mentoring from our Development team.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Duties may include but not limited to:
- 50% General Development Team Responsibilities
- Assist the Development team with various donor cultivation steps including, but not limited to, thanking donors, research for donor briefings and drafting cultivation emails
- Contribute to the Development team in an ad-hoc manner on logistics, operations and donor stewardship
- Input, update and analyze data for individual and institutional donors using our Salesforce CRM database
- Attend weekly Development Department meetings when possible and take meeting minutes
- Create original social media content about Asylum Access for our corporate partners to share
- Special projects in fundraising as needed
- 30% Opportunity Research
- Research new funding opportunities and assess the alignment of funders’ priorities with Asylum Access’s mission and goals
- 20% Research, Strategy and Development for Asylum Access Global Advocates ("AAGA")
- Assist Development Coordinator in tracking and cultivating relationships with young professionals and partner organizations in the Bay Area with an interest in supporting Asylum Access’s mission
- Interview and survey former Asylum Access volunteers and interns about their interest in supporting Asylum Access as alumni
- Identify best practices for young professionals networks and program development
- Conclude internship with a research report on engagement with young professionals with conceptual and practical recommendations that staff and interns can build upon going forward
- Additional research and special projects relevant to fundraising and movement building for nonprofit causes as needed
- Current undergraduate student pursuing a degree in business, political science, international relations or related field
- Ability to balance multiple deadlines and diverse projects
- Ability to take initiative; self-motivated
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to write professionally and concisely to a variety of audiences
- Genuine interest in learning how an international nonprofit operates
- Experience and/or interest in building grassroots support for a human rights cause
- Interest in international human rights and/or refugee rights and/or related topics
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and groups. Candidate should be culturally sensitive
- Basic working knowledge of Gmail, Google Drive, Ms Office and related tools (Docs, Sheets, etc.)
Hours and Location of Work
This position will require 10-30 hours per week of work, depending on intern’s availability. This position is based out of our headquarters office in Oakland, CA . Remote work opportunities are negotiable. Ideally, this internship will start in early June 2018 and end in late August 2018, but the start/end dates are flexible.
This is a part-time, unpaid internship.
Application Instructions to candidates
- Send your Resume and Cover letter to email@example.com .
- Please describe your reasons for applying, relevant qualifications, and how you learned about the position.
Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants in need of accommodation during the interview can contact HR - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Asylum Access is an equal opportunity employer
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18