Volunteer Receptionist - Job Description
All Saints Literacy Center Purpose Statement
All Saints Literacy Center enables adult learners to meet the challenges of today by improving their reading, writing, math and English speaking skills. Qualified tutors provide an individualized learning plan tailored to the goals and objectives of the learner in a welcoming environment.
Summary of Position
The All Saints Literacy Center Volunteer Receptionist is responsible for covering the reception desk, welcoming learners and tutors to the Center, and managing the space when needed. This individual will perform other tasks, as assigned.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Answer phones, greet people, and share information with community stakeholders
- Communicate with tutors, students and potential tutors and students via phone
- Ensure the Center’s learning spaces are conducive to learning
- Interact with learners and tutors in a warm and friendly manner when they arrive
- Assist tutors and learners in setting up their learning space
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Highly desirable: Bilingual, Spanish/English
- Have proficiency in using Google Docs and Calendar, Microsoft Office programs. If the skills are lacking, then a strong aptitude toward technology and the desire to learn new programs is needed.
- Must be well organized, detail oriented, mature and have reliable transportation
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to exercise professional discretion
- Trustworthiness, exceptional ethics and a positive attitude
- Two-hour evening shifts as needed, usually Monday or Wednesday
- Daytime shifts available. Monday through Friday
Benefits of the Position
- Learn about literacy and English as a Second Language (ESL) issues in Detroit
- Gain experience in a non-profit educational setting
- Learn about volunteer management and the roles of volunteers in adult literacy
- Obtain experience working with ESL students
- Build valuable professional experience
Job Title: Volunteer Receptionist
Reports to: Director
Please email your resume to:
- Office Reception
- Office Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 2-hour evening shifts as needed, usually Monday.
- Daytime shifts available. Monday through Friday.