Encore.org: Encore Fellowship Opportunity with Koreatown Youth + Community Center (KYCC)
You are a seasoned professional with a minimum of 25+ years of experience, who is retired or in transition. You want to continue to work and want to do something with meaning. You are ready for a second act for the greater good.
Encore Fellowships are structured programs that place highly-skilled, experienced professionals into social-purpose organizations, where they help nonprofits build capacity, and ultimately, have a greater impact on their communities. Fellows commit to 1,000 hours of work over 6 to 12 months. They are paid a stipend of $20,000 and are integrated into the nonprofit’s leadership team.
About Koreatown Youth + Community Center
KYCC ( www.kyccla.org) is the leading multiservice organization in Koreatown, supporting children and their families in the areas of education, health, housing, and finances. They believe that if the family is healthy, their community will thrive. KYCC is committed to making Koreatown a safe and beautiful place to live and work.
The mission of KYCC is to serve the evolving needs of the Korean American population in the greater Los Angeles area as well as the multiethnic Koreatown community. KYCC’s programs and services are directed toward recently immigrated, economically disadvantaged youth and families, and promote community socioeconomic empowerment. Their programs are far ranging and include early childhood education, academic support to K-12 students, drug and alcohol prevention programs as well as comprehensive mental health services for at-risk youth and their parents. Their Community Economic Unit offers comprehensive financial case management, small business advisory services and 209 units of affordable housing.
Retail Operations Manager: Primary Role and Responsibilities
The Encore Fellow will assist with the launch of KYCC’s social enterprise retail project. KYCC has leased a 900 sq. foot store retail location for this new venture. Responsibilities will include securing licensing and permits, setting up store policies, assisting in hiring personnel, supply chain management, overall marketing of the new venture, and teaching the store manager how to effectively manage the business.
The Fellow will:
- Assist in pre-venture activities, including store layout, initial inventory and merchandising process, acquiring licensing and permits, arranging for soft and hard grand opening
- Assist in setting up web based sales outlet for the store. Maintain and refresh inventory on website
- Establish customer service protocol, buying guidelines, return policies and other policies as needed
- Complete store operational requirements by scheduling and supervising employees
- Set up women’s second hand buying and merchandising policies and processes
- Ensure availability of merchandise through establishing multi-faceted buying strategies
- Maintain store staffing and volunteers by recruiting, selecting, orienting and training staff and volunteers
- Identify current and future customer requirements by building rapport with potential and actual customers
- Oversee marketing efforts through collaboration with KYCC’s communications team
- Maintain stability and reputation of the store by complying with KYCC and legal policies
Encore Fellow Retail: Key Skills Requirements
- 25+ years of demonstrable understanding of women’s fashion trends, resale apparel business and retail operations
- Demonstrable knowledge and skill in business, including human resources, customer service and organizational skills
- Experience utilizing social media marketing for retail business
- Experience with oversight of cash and credit card transactions
- Working knowledge of the use and operation of POS systems
- Possess initiative, flexibility and ability to work under pressure without supervision
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, written and communication skills
- Strong commitment to working with a multicultural community
- Bilingual capacity preferred (Spanish/English or Korean/English
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and a willingness to participate fully in the team process
- Business Planning
- Product Development
- Retail / Sales
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 1000 hours over 12 months
- 25+ years retail experience