Have you always wanted to see the beautiful beaches of Topsail at dawn? Would you like to help park staff hunt for the telltale tracks left by nesting sea turtles?
Join us on May 3 at 9:00am to learn more about this exciting new volunteer experience!!!!
Sea Turtle Support Volunteer - Sign up on May 3, 2018 at 9:00am
Topsail Hill Preserve State Park is seeking outgoing and hardworking volunteers who are passionate about Florida State Parks.Turtle Support volunteers ride along with Park Staff as the staff person conducts nest monitoring. Volunteers will assist Park Staff in cleaning up the beach during their ride-a-long.
Topsail Hill Preserve State Park is nestled in the Florida Panhandle along the Gulf of Mexico.It has 1643 acres and is home to rare coastal dune lakes, over 10 miles of hiking and biking trails amongst a Long Leaf Pine ecosystem as well as many protected flora and fauna.Being a Turtle Support volunteer is a great introduction to the park.
Turtle Support Volunteers are scheduled on a first come first serve basis.Scheduling occurs in person at a meeting on April 30th at 9am.
- Must be 18 years of age or meet the park’s youth volunteer requirements and pass a background check
- Must believe in the mission and share the values of the Florida Park Service and have a passion for the environment or visitor services
- Able to work as part of a team
- Able to work in severe weather conditions including heat, sun and rain.
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Willingness to speak with public including children
- Good physical condition able to walk on uneven terrain and through dense vegetation unassisted
- Professional demeanor, positive and friendly personality
- Must sign a group volunteer form at the scheduling meeting
- Must call the Ranger Station the day before scheduled ride along.
- Environmental Education
- General Education
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 12
- Orientation or Training
- 2 to 4 hours
- under 16 must be accompanied by parent or guardian