Zoo Aide- Enrichment
1 person is interested
Utah’s Hogle Zoo’s Volunteer Zoo Aide program is designed to give an individual the opportunity to learn about the animal world, its ecology and conservation, make new friends, develop new skills and contribute to the quality of life in our community. Our Zoo Aide Volunteer program offers opportunities to support husbandry activities in animal areas. You will not have physical contact with animals.
Volunteer Manager and Assigned Area Mentor
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Enrichment volunteers create enrichment items for their assigned area(s). Duties include but are not limited to:
- creating piñatas, puzzle feeders, and other devices requested by animal care
- following enrichment plans and guidelines
- cleaning and maintaining work space
- assisting keepers in approved activities
- assist with the behavioral enrichment program
NOTE: There is no contact with the animals, although volunteers work in close proximity and can study their behavior.
Zoo Aides must be interested in and care about animals, nature, and conservation. They must have the ability to closely follow instructions and be physically capable of performing strenuous work. Because of the nature of working close to a variety of animals, Zoo Aides need to demonstrate maturity, self-motivation, and an ability to follow direction.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must provide authorization of background check.
- Must attend mandatory trainings
- There is an annual volunteer fee of $20 (Note: financial assistance is available.)
SCHEDULE AND TIME COMMITMENT
Zoo Aides must commit to one four-hour shift a week on the same day. This will require time management skills to complete all assigned projects. This commitment must be maintained for a minimum of 1 year.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
This position requires long periods of standing and walking. This position requires exposure to the elements such as heat, cold, rain, and snow.
All volunteers at Utah’s Hogle Zoo are considered non-paid employees. Benefits include discounts on food and gifts and volunteer recognition events and parties.
THE VOLUNTEER DEPARTMENT WILL:
- Maintain records for active volunteers.
- Ensure adequate training and supervision is provided.
- Issue volunteers a uniform and name tag.
- Provide ongoing support and assistance with volunteer/staff relationships.
- Administer volunteer benefits.
- Provide a written reference which will include hours of service, tenure, and job description when requested.
Please submit an application at: https://www.hoglezoo.org/jobs_volunteers/volunteers/zoo_aides/
Utah’s Hogle Zoo is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive volunteer program representative of a variety of backgrounds, age groups, perspectives, experiences, abilities, and strengths.
We'll work with your schedule.
2600 Sunnyside AveSalt Lake City, UT 84108
- Exhibition Arts
- Animal Care / Handling
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Zoo Aides must commit to one four-hour shift a week on the same day. This will require time management skills to complete all assigned projects. This commitment must be maintained for a minimum of 1 year.
- • Must be at least 18 years of age • Must provide authorization of background check. • Must attend mandatory trainings • There is an annual volunteer fee of $20 (Note: financial assistance is available.)