Purpose: The Safe Haven Network is a referral service that connects individuals escaping domestic violence to temporary emergency shelter for their pets. The emergency shelters care for the survivors' pets while the survivor focuses on her own safety planning and rebuilding her life, knowing that her pet is safe. When her program is complete, the survivor can reunite with her pet.
The Referral Program uses a secure online portal to allow domestic violence advocates to submit referral applications on behalf of their clients, and to allow animal shelters to review and accept the applications. The Referral Program relies on strong relationships with domestic violence agencies and animal welfare providers to provide a responsive service to as many survivors as possible.
The Referral Program Director is responsible for soliciting and maintaining relationships with domestic violence advocates and animal welfare providers as referral program partners. The Referral Program Director will act as liaison between referral program partners and The Safe Haven Network to share feedback about usage of the referral program portal and operation of the referral program.
Location: The Referral Program Director Volunteer must be located in Chicago or the Chicago area. They must be able to attend meetings in Chicago at least once a month, and be able to meet with prospective and established partners in and around Chicago.
- Solicit and develop relationships with potential referral program partners
- Meet with referral program partners to discuss feedback about portal and referral program operation
- Share referral program partner feedback with Executive Director and portal development team to improve usage and usability
- Recruit and manage volunteers as needed
Reports to Executive Director
The Length of Appointment: We ask that the Referral Program Director Volunteer commit to one year of service. We also ask that the Referral Program Director Volunteer train a successor before resigning.
Time Commitment: The Referral Program Director Volunteer will work on their own time. We expect a commitment of 5-10 hours per week. The Referral Program Director Volunteer will meet with the Executive Director at least once a month.
- 1-5 years program management experience
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Prompt and responsive
- Access to own transportation or willingness/ability to arrange transportation as needed to meet with partners in and around Chicago
- Volunteer management experience
- Flexible schedule to meet with partners in and around Chicago
Support: Referral Program Director Volunteer with be provided training on the link between domestic violence and animal abuse, as well as The Safe Haven Network’s history and activities. Executive Director will be available for questions and assistance.
- Program Management
- Project Management
- Relationship Building
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- 5-10 hours per week (variable)