The National Association of Letter Carriers, (NALC) hosts the largest one-day food drive in the nation on the second Saturday of May each year. Postal customers will receive a folded grocery bag in their mailbox several days prior to the food drive, inviting them to leave canned goods by their mailbox. Last year in Shawnee County this drive collected nearly 60,000 pounds of food for those in need in our community. This year our goal is 80,000 pounds!
WE NEED YOU! Volunteers are needed to assist the Letter Carriers with this incredible drive. Volunteers will be assigned a Post Office that they will check in and check out from on the day of the food drive. Route volunteers will perform a variety of tasks including:
- Driving rural postal routes and picking up food.
- Assisting the letter carriers by helping unload food from their mail trucks mid-route.
- Following a walking Letter Carrier and helping them collect food.
- Be able to lift 5-10 pounds repeatedly.
- Have access to a vehicle that can safely transport several hundred pounds of food (small truck, van, car with empty trunk).
- North Park - 1410 NW Gage Blvd, Topeka 66618
- North Topeka - 220 NW Lyman Road, Topeka 66608
- Gage Center - 1430 SW Woodhull, Topeka 66604
- Hi-Crest - 2921 SE Adams, Topeka 66605
- Sherwood - 6120 SW 29th Street, Topeka 66614
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 8
- 3 hours