Live and Volunteer at Buddhist center, Seeking strong able-bodied for large sacred art project.
DONATE TO THIS
99 people are interested
Be a Resident volunteer at a spectacular rural Buddhist center on the north California coast, three hours north of San Francisco. Seeking volunteers who can begin by Sept. 30, 2019.
Learn new skills, live in a community of like-minded people, eat home grown vegetarian food, help out with construction, gardening and cooking. You can take advantage of classes on Buddhism and yoga, participate in meditation and chanting and live in one of the most beautiful Buddhist centers in the world.
Seeking resident volunteers for a minimum of six months to work in construction, metal work and gardening. You need to be strong and physically able to do manual work - some of it quite heavy -all day. Includes lifting, bending, being on your knees, a lot of walking, using hand tools and machines.
Our current major projects (2019-2020) are installing 2000 prayer wheels around the Main Temple, and producing Buddhist statues;at our foundry; some very large. No experience in this type of work is required. We will train you, But you MUST be handy with tools, strong and in good physical shape.
You will have the opportunity to learn : Construction and mental work, electric and motor hand tools and small machines, welding, painting, concrete work, plus all the steps and skills for creating life-size bronze statuary.
Although Odiyan has its foundations in Tibetan Buddhism, no religious affiliation is required to join the team. The ideal volunteer is open-minded, self-reflective and ready to engage deeply on both internally and with the work.
Living and working at Odiyan includes:
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in a large room with balcony
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to a healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit: Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, Buddhist study and more.
- Living allowance, $100 per month after the first month, $150 per month after six months.
You will also participate in vegetable gardening, landscaping and maintenance and we will teach you vegetarian cooking!
- Minimum age of 23 years old
- You must be strong, physically able for manual work for hours each day, including lifting, bending, kneeling
- Minimum commitment is six months. We prefer nine months.
- Couples welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug-free community.
If you have a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self-knowledge and giving to a greater vision, Odiyan may be the place for you! The community life, classes, and on-going work projects are directed to the benefit of yourself and all humanity.
About Odiyan Retreat Center: Founded in 1975 by Venerable Tarthang Tulku Rinpoche, Odiyan is a Tibetan Buddhist center located on a 1000-acre spiritual and ecological preserve in rural Northern California, 100 miles north of San Francisco. Perched on a ridge overlooking rolling hills and the Pacific Ocean, Odiyan is modeled after Tibet's first Buddhist center-a three-dimensional Mandala.
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see us on Facebook:
Search Odiyan Retreat Center
Scroll the photo albums. Enjoy!
Tin Barn RoadCAZADERO, CA 95421
- Animal Care / Handling
- Must be at least 23
- Resident volunteer 6 months minimum commitment. We cannot accommodate shorter stays.
- US citizen, US green card or Canadian citizen. Physically strong, able to handle tools and small machinery.