Odiyan is an all-volunteer non-profit Buddhist center dedicated to meaningful work, wholesome living and the development of mind and spirit.
For over 40 years volunteers from around the world have been coming to Odiyan to live and work, gaining new skills and integrating creative and challenging work with a path of self-exploration.
Living and working at Odiyan includes:
- Free home-cooked vegetarian meals and beverages
- Free housing in large room with balcony
- Free WI-FI and domestic phone calls
- Free skill training in a wide range of trades and traditional arts
- Access to healthy setting of nature, hiking trails, swimming, wide-open spaces, sacred beauty, fresh air, clean water, and nutritious food
- Free Classes on Development of Mind & Spirit: Tibetan yoga, Skillful Means, Buddhist study and more.
- Living allowance, $100 per month after the first month, $150 per month after six months.
Join our historic 2018 project creating Prayer Wheels for World Peace. You will learn many new skills as you help create over 2,000 large Prayers Wheels to surround the Main Temple of Odiyan. The purpose of this year-long project is to reverse the negative momentum of our world, restore balance in nature and heal the pain of so many beings who are victims of war, hatred and natural disasters.
Odiyan is open to applicants aged 24-45 who want to live and work with us for at least six months, although we prefer nine months.
You will have the opportunity to learn:
All types of electric and motor hand tools, sanding, welding, copper fabrication, metal cutting, polishing, finishing, painting, concrete work, building, electrical work, solar panel installation.
You will also participate in vegetable gardening, landscaping, maintenance and cleaning and we will teach you vegetarian cooking!
- Minimum age of 24 years old
- You must be strong,physically able for manual work for hours each day, including lifting, bending, kneeling
- Minimum commitment is six months. We prefer nine months.
- Couples welcome to apply.
- We cannot accept children or animal companions.
- We are a smoke and drug-free community.
If you have a passion for the physically active lifestyle, self-knowledge and giving to a greater vision, Odiyan may be the place for you! The community life, classes, and on-going work projects are directed to the benefit of yourself and all humanity.
To get started on the application process, email us your resume, a short statement about why this opportunity interests you and clear photo of yourself. If you have any questions or just want to chat about living and working at Odiyan, don’t hesitate to call us! 510-981-1987
For a more 'inside' view of Odiyan see us on Facebook: OdiyanBuddhistRetreatCenter.
- Animal Care / Handling
- Web Design
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 24
- Minimum 6 months, we prefer 9 months.
- Good physical shape, able to engage manual work for hours at a time (incl. bend, kneel, lift)