Volunteer Scope of Work
Web/Mobile System Developer
Level of effort: Approximately 25 working days
Duration: February 2018
Location: Online - Remote
Objective: To develop new components/parts on a mobile application and website.
Background: Tanzania has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. With nearly 70 percent of the country’s labor force and a quarter of its gross domestic product (GDP) tied to agriculture, the US government, through its Feed the Future initiative, recognizes the high potential for stimulating inclusive, broad-based economic growth through support to the sector.
The Tanzania Enabling Growth through Investment and Enterprise (ENGINE) program is a four-year USAID-funded Feed the Future program awarded through the Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) that aims to streamline and enhance many of the regulatory, informational, and financial channels that encourage domestic and foreign investment in the southern agricultural regions of Mbeya, Morogoro, and Iringa, and in Zanzibar.
ENGINE will focus at the district level, using a broad-based approach that works with district councils, private sector associations, business development service providers, financial institutions, and micro, small, and medium enterprises. The program’s activities are divided into three main components:
- Implement policies for growth. Build the capacity of the private sector to effectively dialogue with the government to set the policy agenda and improve the capacity of the public sector to implement policies.
- Equip businesses for growth. Strengthen small to medium size enterprise (SME) capacity and foster the growth and capacity of a sustainable market for business development services (BDS) in Tanzania.
- Access to finance for growth. Broaden access to finance for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), specifically women and youth entrepreneurs and those working within agricultural value chains, to facilitate increased investment and growth.
Relevance: Part of the way ENGINE plans to expand access to finance and information for SMEs is through providing them with a platform where interaction with the business development service providers is simple and easy.
The ENGINE team has developed a digital platform (bizfundi) that establishes market linkage between the SMEs, Business Service providers, and the financial institutions. The platform consists of a web-based system and a mobile App that are interlinked with a database for SMEs and BDS providers.
To ensure quick completeness and increase usability of the platform, ENGINE is seeking a Volunteer who is experienced in android app development and/or web development to assist in developing some parts of the platform.
Specific Task(s): Working with the ENGINE Component 3 development team to develop software components to perform specific functions as specified by the team. In doing so, it will be incumbent for the developer to understand the current system.
The approach to develop the software component (Either Web application or android app) should be as follows:
- Understanding the requirements for the new component/function in the system
- Learning how the current system works
- Create a simple plan on how you are going to approach designing and developing the new component
- Develop the software component
- Test the software with ENGINE team
- Submit the source code to the ENGINE team
Brief summary of the approach
5 working days
Initial version of the software for testing
20 working days
Final complete source code
25 working days
- Experience in MySQL database language
- Possess a portfolio full of samples of applications you have worked on.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in cross-cultural settings;
- Patience, flexibility, and an open mind will be highly advantageous.
- University degree in related discipline is preferred
- Animation Software
- Web Design / UX
- Mobile Programming
- Graphic Design
- Website Programming
- Web Design
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- About 25 days