Our refugee neighbors have emerged as a hardy and loyal workforce for local Atlanta based employers. However, the process of finding and keeping employment can be a challenge for resettled refugees due to language and cultural barriers, lack of formal education and employment literacy. The Refugee Career Hub, Friends of Refugees’ technology center and job literacy program, helps to bridge those gaps by providing quality employment support services including soft-skill training, networking opportunities, internet access and job placement services.
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK: The Employment Wizards work with the Refugee Career Hub to help refugees and immigrants find work to sustain their families and develop their skills and networks for upward mobility in America.
- Train new clients in job search process and orient them to the Refugee Career Hub
- Create resumes by working one-on-one with clients
- Assist clients in filling out online and paper applications
- Teach basic email and computer-based communication skills
- Prepare clients for job interviews
- Register clients in our database
- Strong interest in working with international clients.
- Proficiency with resume writing and employment-related activities.
- Proven ability to work with consideration and respect for cross-cultural differences.
- Excellent communication, organization skills and professionalism.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs and internet research.
- Bi or Multi-Lingual is a plus!
- Data Entry
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Relationship Building
- Microsoft Office Suite
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 6 hours a month
- You must go through a Friends of Refugees orientation and background check prior to volunteering