Our refugee neighbors have emerged as a hardy and loyal workforce for the U.S. employers that hire them. But the process of finding and keeping employment is a challenge to them because of language and cultural barriers, lack of formal education, and lack of employment literacy. The Refugee Career Hub, Friends of Refugees’ employment support and job literacy program, helps to bridge those gaps by providing quality employment support services, soft-skill training, networking opportunities, technological assistance, and job development and job placement services.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: The Employment Services intern works approximately 15 hours a week with The Career Hub to help refugees and immigrants find work to sustain their families, and to develop their skills and networks for increased employment opportunities.
- Educate clients in job search process and orient them to The Refugee Career Hub
- Create resumes by working one-on-one with clients
- Assist clients in filling out online and paper applications
- Teach basic email and computer-based communication skills
- Assist in running Job Ready orientation program
- Research potential employers and job possibilities
- Prepare clients for job interviews
- Accompany clients to job interviews and employment orientations
- Provide general administrative support to Hub team, including email correspondence to volunteers and employers.
- Strong interest in working with international clients.
- Be available Tuesdays and Thursdays 12 pm - 5 pm, and Saturdays 10 am - 3 pm for the duration of the internship.
- Proficiency with resume writing and employment-related activities
- Proven ability to work with consideration and respect for cross-cultural differences
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Ability to work independently
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs and internet research
- Enthusiasm for helping people to learn
- Demonstrated professionalism
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle
This is an unpaid position.
We will work to accommodate your school and/or work schedule. Interns must be able to work at least 15 hours a week for at least two months. Our schedule of normal operating hours is online at www.careerhubclarkston.com.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Adult Education
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Microsoft Office Suite
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 15 hours p/week
- A flexible, adaptable, and steady demeanor