The Community Improvement Initiative Inc. (CII), a 501( c) 3 charity located in the USA, has initiated a project where composers can submit original jazz compositions to an online portal for inclusion in a royalty-free music book. The book is called Today's Jazz Book. CII will then promote the book internationally through volunteers. The concept of the book is similar to The Real Book, that has been distributed in hard copy internationally and become an aural history of jazz to musicians around the world. The difference is that Today's Jazz Book is legal and does not violate copyright laws.
A detailed description of the project is found at www.jazzbook.org
One purpose of this project is to increase public performance opportunities for musicians in areas where licensing fees of existing music deter venue owners from hosting live music. Another purpose is to give composers the opportunity to immortalize their music by having it included in this book. We are planning to make the book a viral phenomenon, with legal, international distribution.
Recorded Music Researcher
This position involves searching the web for songs that contain recordings of jazz-oriented music containing certain Creative Commons licenses. Also involves searching Youtube, Soundcloud, the web and other sites for composers of original music who may be approached about submitting specific songs for TJB.
The results of your efforts will be links to songs containing appropriate licenses, or to recordings of music by candidate composers. Our peer review team will consider these songs for acceptance in Today’s Jazz Book.
1.Two years experience performing with other jazz musicians in a paid or volunteer context
2. The ability to identify songs that local, gigging musicians may like to play, and that sound easy enough for our transcription team to transcribe.
3. Ability to assess songs against simple criteria
4. Patience in searching for and listening to a large volume of songs for those few that are of sufficient quality for consideration by our peer reviewers
5. Willingness to research public contact information of composers through typical web searches
6. Willingness to register at jazzbook.org as a team member
7. Training is provided in creative commons licensing, song criteria, and characteristics of suitable composers.
- Music Arts
- Basic Computer Skills
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- To be worked out with the volunteer
- Experience performing jazz with other musicians