The Ed Bohrer Parent Resource Center (PRC), a program of Family Services, Inc., is working to build a bank of volunteer teachers to teach a variety of ADULT education classes including the following:
- Basic computer skills
- Basic literacy skills in Spanish and English
- US Citizenship
- Parenting skills
General qualifications include:
- Is organized, dependable and flexible
- Has solid knowledge of the subject matter and skills needed to teach the class
- Is committed to and able to serve a diverse community, and has an understanding of the diversity of learning styles, cultures, backgrounds and adult-learner needs
- Is 21 or older; 25 and older for the parenting skills class
Only the volunteer teacher for Basic literacy skills in Spanish and English must be bilingual in Spanish/English. Classes meet once a week for 1-2 hours, and sessions last from 6-10 weeks, depending on the course. Classes can be held during the day and in the evening.
Volunteers are asked to commit to a year of service to Family Services, teaching a minimum of 2 class sessions over the course of that year. All accepted volunteers need to submit of completed FSI Volunteer Application, attend an FSI new volunteer orientation, complete a background check and offer 2 references.
For more specific information, contact email@example.com or call 301-840-3183.
Located at Gaithersburg Elementary School, the Ed Bohrer Parent Resource Center (PRC) serves Spanish and English speaking people as they pursue educational goals for themselves and their children as well as access needed services in the community.
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours/week for 6-10 weeks
- FSI Volunteer Application, attendance to new volunteer orientation, background check, 2 references