Tahirih Justice Center is currently in need of a long-term volunteer to provide critical client and administrative support. The Client Support Volunteer will function as the initial point of contact for clients at the Houston office. This is a great opportunity for individuals with open schedules who want to positively impact the dynamic and diverse immigrant population of Greater Houston.
Volunteers will answer the phones for service eligibility, take client messages, and greet clients. The ideal volunteers are expected to be organized and friendly. This role is so much more than answering the phone. A mandatory interview, background check, and 5 hour training are required prior to volunteering with our organization. Tahirih Houston is open Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5:30 pm with volunteer times from 9am - 12:30 pm or 1:00pm - 5:30pm Monday through Friday.
- Detail-oriented self-starter
- Answers agency telephones professionally
- Experience in customer service
- Bilingual Spanish
- Ensures phone coverage during all staff meetings
- Ability to communicate professionally; ability to handle frequent interruptions in work duties
- Must be sensitive to cultural differences within the agency and community
- Greets visitors with trauma-informed courtesy and respect
- Remains calm when answering calls and be able to redirect emergency calls to the appropriate personnel
- Receives deliveries
- Complete data entry tasks on our Legal Server
- Maintains strict client confidentiality
- Ability to volunteer once a week during business hours
Tahirih Justice Center is a national, non-profit organization that protects courageous immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of violence by elevating their voices in communities, courts, and Congress.
Since 1997, Tahirih has assisted nearly 22,000 women and children seeking protection from gender-based human rights abuses such as rape, female genital mutilation, domestic violence, human trafficking, "honor" crimes, and forced marriage. Our award-winning, holistic model for protection combines free legal services and social services case management with bridge-building public policy advocacy, education, and outreach.
- Office Reception
- Crisis Intervention
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5 hours once a week