The Board of Directors partners with our Youth Advisory Board (YAB) and Founder to advise, govern, oversee policy direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of courageous heARTS in support of the organization’s mission and vision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize the board of directors, officers, and committees and remain attentive to performance
- Partner with the YAB, founder and volunteers to set the strategic direction
- Develop and provide oversight to board and organizational policies and procedures
- Provide fiduciary oversight, including adoption and review of annual budget and spending
- Support annual fundraising goals through donor outreach, grantwriting, event planning, etc
- Evaluate the performance of key staff and support professional development
- Review organizational and programmatic reports
- Interest in supporting an emerging and dynamic nonprofit with dedication to its mission
- Attend and actively participate in monthly meetings, ad-hoc committees and special events
- Be alert to community needs that heARTS’ can address through its mission, goals, & programs
- Communicate and promote heARTS’ mission and programs to the community
- Be familiar with and provide oversight to heARTS’ finances, budget, and financial needs
- Develop and understand the policies and procedures of heARTS
- Interest in supporting an emerging, dynamic nonprofit with dedication to its mission and goals.
We ask 100% of board members to become sustaining donors (courageous-hearts.org/donate) at a level that is meaningful to them. Members are also expected to actively participate in annual fundraising activities.
Meetings and Time Commitments
- The board generally meets year-round, on the 2 nd Tuesday of the month at 6:30pm. Meetings typically last 2 hrs.
- Board members are expected to actively participate in one of three operational clubs (aka committees) with our Youth Advisory Board. Club meetings are held on Wednesdays from 6-7:30pm and focus on fundraising, outreach, and programs.
- Attend no less than two special events per year, as they are determined.
Length of Service
Terms are two years in length, and may be renewed for a maximum of three consecutive terms.
Officers of the Board
heARTS has 4 officer positions: Adult Co-Chair, Youth Co-Chair (elected representative of the Youth Advisory Board), Treasurer, and Secretary. These positions carry additional duties and position descriptions are available upon selection to the board at-large.
Send letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Selection process includes an interview, a meeting with our founder, and visits to a club meeting and regular board meeting. Selection is contingent on passing a background check.
- Strategic Planning
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- 5-10 hours per month