The Communications Intern will work with our Engagement Site Managers, assisting in developing and distributing promotional materials and information, and occasionally in conducting arts, cultural, family, and/or natural history events. Good writing and verbal communication skills and interest in interpretation of historic homes and/or natural history preferred.
The main focus of this position will be to promote programs taking place at the Eleanor Cabot Bradley Estate in Canton and Francis William Bird Park in Walpole. Work may also be done remotely with bi-weekly check-ins.
This is a non-paid internship.
* Primary responsibility is to help increase program and event participation by inputting programs into local and other online events listings
* Secondary responsibility is to spend time in the communities, establishing prime locations for flyers or other traditional promotion
* Learn and maintain working and conversational knowledge of Trustees’ mission and programming to encourage participants to further engage with Trustees through volunteer opportunities and membership.
* When possible: assist with day-of event support, including taking photos, supporting staff, and ensuring smooth logistics at event
* Encourage visitors to engage with The Trustees through volunteer opportunities and membership
* Depending upon the volunteer’s experience and interest, use established marketing guidelines, develop promotional materials such as flyers, emails, press releases, and other documents utilized to promote programs and events
* Log volunteer hours weekly
* Experience with social media outlets and ability to think creatively about event promotion
* Ability to use Microsoft and other tools to create flyers, emails, and other program support materials
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Organized and flexible
* Interest in historic homes, museums, public gardens, agriculture, outdoor recreation and/or the Massachusetts a plus
* Physical abilities require continuous standing, walking, bending, reaching, and occasional climbing, stooping, twisting and fine manipulation; occasional environmental exposure to cold
* Must have means of transportation as well as ability to provide a personal laptop/computer
Time Commitment Needed
Weekly commitment of 2 hours; 3 month commitment.
To Apply send a cover letter and resume to Eileen Small at email@example.com. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
To explore other volunteer opportunities, visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
More about The Trustees
Founded by landscape architect Charles Eliot in 1891, The Trustees has, for more than 125 years, been a catalyst for important ideas, endeavors, and progress in Massachusetts. As a steward of distinctive and dynamic places of both historic and cultural value, The Trustees is the nation’s first preservation and conservation organization, and its landscapes and landmarks continue to inspire discussion, innovation, and action today as they did in the past. We are a nonprofit, supported by members, friends and donors and our 116 sites are destinations for residents, members, and visitors alike, welcoming millions of guests annually. www.thetrustees.org.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- Market Research / Analysis
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- weekly commitment of 2 hours; 3 month commitment
- Boat House Steward - Norris...
- Gardening Volunteer - Weir River...
- Communications Intern - Francis...
- Event Volunteer - Bird Park
- Invasive Species Control...
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Guest Services Ambassador -...
- Horticulture Volunteer - Bradley...
- Gardening Volunteer - Mytoi
- Garden Clean-Up - Mytoi
- Communications Intern - Bradley...
- Drop-In Tuesday Gardening -...
- Gardening Volunteer - The FARM...
- Nest Box Monitor - Charles River...
- Wednesday Garden Crew - Haskell
- Communications Outreach...
- Friday Community Garden...
- Skilled Trades Volunteer -...
- Painter Volunteer - Weir River...
- Children's Public Program...