Reports to/Department: Under the supervision of the Senior Keeper, reports to all zoo keepers or other assigned Animal Care staff members.
Buttonwood Park Zoo is seeking a dynamic and engaging person to join our animal care team! This person will serve as an assistant to the animal care staff at the Buttonwood Park Zoo, preparing animal diets, maintaining stock and supplies of produce, grains, meats, fish and whole frozen prey. Interns/volunteers will also assist with commissary cleaning and organization.
Volunteers/Interns in this position may work solely in the animal commissary with little to no animal interaction. Shadow opportunities with zookeepers and veterinary staff may be scheduled as time allows and as appropriate.
- Prepare diets for zoo animals from posted diet sheets, including cutting produce, weighing items, cutting raw meat and frozen prey items, cooking vegetables and eggs, and other items as instructed.
- Restocking items as needed, including 50 pound feed bags, boxes of canned goods
- Cleaning commissary including wiping down walk in refrigerator/freezers, counters, floors, shelves, and other tasks as assigned
- Cleaning animal dishes, buckets, utensil
- Organizing all outgoing diets and delivering to animal areas for animal keepers to distribute as appropriate
- Preparing food related enrichment for animals as instructed
- Maintaining USDA and AZA standards of food preparation and storage
- Assist in performing assigned Zoo Commissary tours and presentations
- Applicants must exhibit consistent professional behavior such as a positive attitude, ability to listen to instruction, ability to show initiative, emotional maturity and self-responsibility.
- Applicants must work well as part of a team as well as independently.
- Applicants must have clear communication skills both written and verbal
- Applicants must be comfortable with public speaking to small groups of guests and zoo camps.
This Opportunity is GOOD for People who are:
- Interested in zoo animal management and nutrition
- Able to follow guidelines for safety and sanitation
- At least 18 years old with valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Provide proof of negative TB Test within the last 12 months before start date
- Good physical condition: able to stand/walk for extended periods of time, kneel, crouch, and able to work in all weather conditions. Majority of work will be indoors
- Willing to work with knives, microwave, cleaning solutions
- Willing to work with a variety of animal food products, including but not limited to: - produce, nuts, raw meat, live feeder insects, frozen prey food items (mice, rats, chickens, rabbits etc.)
- Be able to lift 25-50 pounds with little to no assistance
- Must be fluent in the English language (verbal and written communication)
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Able and willing to read and follow verbal and written work instructions and work independently
- Willing to assist with administrative, customer relations, and housekeeping tasks and possibly animal care
- Able to commit to upholding all Zoo safety and personnel policies, and support the overall mission
- Able to professionally represent the Buttonwood Park Zoo in all interactions with visitors, staff, and other members of the community.
- Ability to pass criminal background screening
- Animal Care / Handling
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours a day/one time a week