GO Project: Who We Are and What We Do
The GO Project shapes the futures of low-income New York City public school children by providing critical academic, social and emotional support starting in the early elementary years. GO provides year-round educational and family support services to children who are performing below grade level and equips them with the confidence and skills needed to succeed at school, at home and in life.
GO School Program: How YOU Can Help
During the GO School Saturday program, 1 st-8 th grade students are exposed to intensive academic support in a differentiated classroom setting led by a professional Head Teacher and 2-4 volunteers from 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM.
In order to ensure a smooth and effective program, the Community Engagement Administrative Intern will assist the Community Engagement Team during the weekday in critical programmatic and administrative tasks, such as (but not limited to): filing paperwork, scanning documents, interviewing families throughout the stages of Student Enrollment, communicating with families, and program set-up as needed. Intern will be expected to complete three hours on Tuesdays or Thursdays from 10 am to 12:30 pm or 3pm - 5:30 pm on February through May 2018.
Specific tasks include, but are not limited, to the following:
Data Collection and Organization
- Create, file, and organize student folders for new student applicants
- Support with the collection of all student data including student applications, report cards, ELA and Math scores, IEPs, and other information for all enrolled and prospective GO students.
- Scan documents of current students, electronically file them into our online database, and file them into our physical files
- Ensure complete accuracy of the Education Edge database in relation to the physical student files
GO Families Engagement
- Contact current returning families as needed to: 1) collect necessary paperwork, 2) follow up on program attendance, and/or 3) share communication on special events
- Follow up with parents of new student applicants to ensure that they complete the full application process, including: 1) submitting all necessary documents, and 2) scheduling and attending an interview with a program team member
- Welcome families during scheduled interview time blocks by: 1) checking in new families, 2) supporting them in completing long application forms, 3) answering questions as needed, and 4) assisting the Community Engagement Coordinator with facilitating GO Project overview sessions for the first phase of the interview process
- Ensure timely response to GO Project emails and phone calls
- Perform other responsibilities as requested by the GO staff
- A positive and engaged approach to all designated responsibilities
- Punctual and consistent attendance
- Ongoing communication with the Community Engagement Team on tasks and feedback
- Commitment from February to May
- Tuesday and/or Thursdays from 10 - 12:30 am or 3 - 5:30 PM (Preferred Time)
The internship will take place at the main office, located at 50 Cooper Square, 3 rd Floor, New York, NY 10003.
Benefits: How Can We Help YOU
- Personal gratification through enhancing the lives of young learners
- Being part of a vibrant and diverse GO Project community of students, teachers, volunteers, and staff
- College credit if applicable
- Commitment to educational equity a must
- Background and/or experience in working with elementary and/or middle school students (ages 6-13)
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet the emerging needs of the program on a day-to-day basis
- Ability to manage relationships with a diverse set of community stakeholders
- Must be available on GO program days
- Professional work habits
- Bilingual (Spanish/Chinese) preferred
How to Apply
- Cover Letter/Personal Statement
- Personal reference
If interested, please e-mail cover letter and resume to Santy Barrera, Community Engagement and Enrollment Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate GO PROJECT INTERN in the subject line.
The GO Project is an equal opportunity employer.
- Data Entry
- People Skills
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16