Job Title: Friendly Pet Visitor
Purpose: Spending time with a pet can reduce anxiety and increase feelings of comfort and wellbeing. Friendly pet visitors will provide these benefits to patients by sitting together quietly, enjoying pet cuddles, and/or playing with pet toys.
Location: Various locations in the Columbus, OH metro area
- Visit patients in their homes or facilities
- Ensure pet and patient safety at all times
- Demonstrate clear control over animal behavior in calm, positive manner
- Provide casual conversation with patients and caregivers
- Politely guide others on how to interact with your animal
Time Commitment: Once a month (min.), 1 hour shifts, for a minimum of 6 months plus 4-6 hours of hospice volunteer training and annual online inservices.
- Dogs need not be certified therapy dogs, but must attend a meet-and-greet with hospice staff
- Up-to-date veterinary records
- Kindness, patience, organization
Support: Training for this position will be provided.
Age Requirement: None
Dress Code: Casual. Dogs must be leashed.
- Hospice Care
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Animal Therapy
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 1 visit per month for at least 6 months
- Health & safety screenings for volunteer and pet
- Summer Office Assistant
- Hospice Bereavement Volunteer
- Phone-A-Friend Volunteer
- Birthday Brigade
- Friendly Pet Visitor
- "On My Own" Hospice Volunteer
- Vigil Volunteer
- Volunteer Hair Stylist
- Veteran-to-Veteran Hospice...
- Administrative Support
- Spiritual Support Hospice...
- Musical Moments Hospice Volunteer
- Comfort Companion Hospice...
- Biography / Family History...
- Support Group facilitator
- Craft Leader
- Massage Therapy Hospice Volunteer
- Special Events Assistant