On a typical night, our emergency shelters are full to capacity. Our Main Shelter at The Morrison provides snacks and nightly hot meal to clients staying in the shelter. During the day, the main shelter is a drop-in center for those registered for shelter beds. People can seek refuge from the streets, the weather, and access a wide variety of services. Our services include information and referral, hygiene facilities, mail and phone services and emergency clothing.
The shelter is a wonderful place for you to get involved and give back to your community. Below are the volunteer opportunities available:
- Circulating Volunteer: A volunteer (preferably someone with experience working with our client population) could circulate the day room and chat with clients or invite them to play board games.
- Food Lifeline: Each Friday at 7:45am, Main Shelter staff go to pick up donated food from Food Lifeline. This food comes in large quantities, and we could use assistance unloading it and organizing it in the coffee counter pantry. We could use a volunteer from 9-11am.
- Project Based Work: This would mostly involve cleaning/organizing, similar to the work volunteers do at Day of Caring but on a smaller scale. For example, a volunteer could help us do a deep clean of the coffee counter or of the pantry.
- Dinner Volunteers: These volunteers would help with facilitating dinner (bringing clients who are not very mobile trays, counting meals for FareStart, handing out trays, etc)
- 7-9pm Activity Volunteers: These volunteers would help with games, art, and other activities that would occur after dinner from 7-9pm each evening.
-Coffee and Hygiene Counter Assistant: This assignment heavy involves d irect client engagement . Re asonability' s include, distributing and tracking hyg ie ne supplies and maintaining coffee counter for shelter clients.
Come join a team that fights to end homelessness!
Please visit https://www.desc.org/get-involved/volunteer/
for additional details for volunteering at DESC.
- Mental Health
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Commitment 6 months +
- Able to comply with DESC confidentiality and volunteer boundary requirements