WhoWhatWhy , the up-and-coming, smart, nonpartisan, "deep digging" news site, is seeking an experienced showrunner for its outside-the-box news and analysis web series. You should be able to conceptualize and oversee the production of our weekly program, including creative concepts, script and aesthetics.
We’re something really different - a group of journalists who grew frustrated at the failings of our craft to address national and international problems at a deep enough level. We observed how most journalism is either fundamentally motivated by profits, or driven by a clear ideological, partisan agenda.
Because our budget is small, we run largely on volunteer help. This position is unpaid but when and if we’re able, we’ll make an effort to pay. If you’d like to join our team, on a part-time, flexible basis, we’d like to hear from you.
You should ideally be based in or near NYC and able to travel to our Union Square location. To apply, please:
- Send a customized cover letter that shows you have studied our brand and explains why you are qualified for this position. Make clear you understand the fundamentally pro bono aspect and are not mass-applying.
- Send 2-3 examples from comparable shows you’ve worked on.
- Include your CV.
In your cover letter, at the top, write "Mencken."
- Conceptualize, direct and edit a live Wednesday night weekly web series
- Supervise others who research breaking news and build talking points around notable items
- Work with writers to develop a compelling script
- Study online and cable news and talk programs for ideas on improving our show’s content, tone, format and visuals
- Proven experience putting together a well-received program
- A bachelor's degree in journalism, media or related field of study preferred
- Knowledge of current events
- Strong creative vision
- Excellent research, production, editing and writing skills
- Ability to multi-task and execute quickly and calmly
- TV Production
- Online Flash/Video Production
- Reading / Writing
- Video Production
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- JFK Assassination Records:...
- Get the Best out of Others:...
- Managing Editor at Media...
- Website User Experience Designer...
- Best Training Ever --...
- Marketing Campaign Strategist
- Salesforce Best Practices...
- JFK ASSASSINATION: RESEARCHER...
- Salesforce Account Manager
- Volunteer IT Manager Needed at...
- Wikipedia Department Manager -...
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO) -...
- Volunteer Assigning Editor
- Virtual Fundraising Manager
- Showrunner for News and...
- Assistant Editorial Image Editor
- Historical Whodunit Book Project...
- Editorial Administrative Assistant
- Writer/Analyst Volunteers to...