Encore.org: Encore Fellowship Opportunity with School on Wheels
You are a seasoned professional with a minimum of 25+ years of experience, who is retired or in
transition. You want to continue to work and want to do something with meaning. You are ready for a
second act for the greater good.
Encore Fellowships are structured programs that place highly-skilled, experienced professionals
into social-purpose organizations, where they help nonprofits build capacity, and ultimately, have
a greater impact on their communities. Fellows commit to 1,000 hours of work over 6 to 12 months.
They are paid a stipend of $20,000 and are integrated into the nonprofit’s leadership team.
About School on Wheels (SOW)
The mission of School on Wheels (www.schoolonwheels.org) is to enhance educational opportunities
for homeless children from kindergarten through twelfth grade. Their goal is to shrink the gaps in
their education and provide them with the highest level of education possible. Their program serves
as a consistent support system to homeless students at a time of great stress and fear, bringing
the message to their students that they are cared about and important.
SOW’s tutoring program forms the center of their work. In 2017, volunteers came from all
backgrounds and professions to provide more than 100,000 hours of focused educational support to
3,370 homeless children. SOW works with over 200 homeless shelters in six counties and has over 50
partnerships with community, nonprofit and corporate organizations.
Other SOW core programs support those students and thousands more that they can’t directly tutor.
They help parents with paperwork, furnish uniforms to students, and provide bus tokens so that kids
can get to school and parents can be there on their first days. They distribute backpacks filled
with school supplies so that children can do their work and award scholarships to be used for any
level of college, trade school, arts/music programs, educational summer programs, apprenticeships
or enrichment classes. Most recently they launched a Digital Learning Initiative to help bridge the
technological divide for their students.
Talent Champion Encore Fellow: Primary Role and Responsibilities
The Talent Champion will design and implement a strategy in the areas of career planning and
mapping, training and development, organization structure and movement, and counseling. The plan
will enable SOW to recruit, develop and retain committed high-performing staff
* Participate in the development of the organization's plans and programs as a strategic partner,
but particularly from the perspective of the impact on people.
* Translate the strategic and tactical business plans into HR strategic and operational plans.
* Develop human resource planning models to identify competency, knowledge and talent gaps and
develop specific programs to fill the identified gaps.
* Evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning of new programs/strategies and
regulatory action as those items affect the attraction, motivation, development and retention of
* Develop staffing strategies and implementation plans and programs to identify talent within and
outside the organization for positions of responsibility.
* Establish credibility throughout the organization to be an effective listener and problem solver
of people issues.
* Develop appropriate policies and programs for effective people management, including programs for
employee relations, affirmative action, sexual harassment, employee complaints, external education
and career development, among others
Encore Fellow Development: Key Skills Requirements
* Successful track record (25 years+) in human resources, staff development, leadership coaching
* Substantial experience in evaluating, developing and implementing organizational policies,
systems and structures
* Excellent communication skills - both written and verbal
* Significant coaching and mentoring experience
* Accustomed to prioritizing, executing, and achieving results in lean environments; always ready
to engage and lend a hand where needed
* Thrives in a collaborative team focused environment while also working independently
* A passion for the mission and organizational culture of School on Wheels
- Human Resources Training & Development
- Capacity Planning
- Human Resources Strategy
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Professional Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- half time for one year
- 25+ years of corporate, business or government experience