JerseySTEM is volunteer, grassroots non-profit agency dedicated to bridging the innovative, opportunity, and gender gaps in STEM education for children in New Jersey’s underserved communities. We are dedicated to partnering with local schools and other organizations to create and enhance STEM-oriented educational opportunities for students in grades 5-8 as part of their paths towards college and career readiness. We provide free of charge after-school, project-based, and hands-on structured programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Classes include: Robotics, Coding, Engineering, Life Sciences, etc. Classes last up to 10 weeks and are predominantly taught by trained volunteer college students. Volunteers typically donate an average of 2 hours/week to the success of the program.
The Field Reporter will interview our corporate sponsors, host sponsors, coaches, parents, and anyone else involved with an event. These reporters are expected to be local to the NY/NJ area. We prefer people with time flexibility who may deviate from the responsibilities of a 9-5 job. They will be expected to submit details and stories about the event along with photo and videos, if possible. We will occasionally send a professional photographer and videographer to assist in the documentation of some of our most important events.
This position reports to the Director of Marketing
What’s in it for the Volunteer
- Work with savvy entrepreneurs and business leaders and gain experience at a nonprofit startup
- Gain experience working with cutting-edge technologies and tools
- Build professional network and references. Our executive and management teams are experienced business leaders who are committed in the applicant’s personal success
Essential Functions of the Volunteer Position
- Partner with our field crew and interview our host and corporate sponsors including parents and their kids
- Partner with photographers and videographers, and identify interesting stories that have the potential to be featured in national media and education-focused TV/Radio/Podcasts shows
- Partner with backend PR team and help craft stories as they work with media partners and social media collaborators
- Spend 3-4 hours a day at events that excite you most
- Create your own schedule and be accountable for the reporting of the entire event
- Act as a journalist who is willing to change the world through his/her personal craft
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Interview and reporting skills
- Demonstrate dependency and commitment to job responsibilities
- Have a passion for kids, and education and tech savvy graphic designing
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
6~8 hours per event
Position will be performed locally in NJ; various locations depending on event venue
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Public Relations
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- 6~8 per event
- STEM Speaker Series coordinator
- ADM:Executive Assistant to the...
- Soldering Sunday in Summit, NJ
- Academic Director
- Community Manager (Newark, NJ)
- Mentoring program coordinator
- App Inventor Coach
- Public Relations for a Community...
- Corporate Engagement Manager
- Arduino Club / Maker Club
- ADM:Girls STEM Parties
- Computer Science Education...
- Google Apps/Calendar support
- Coach/Mentor Engineering...
- PR Manager/Content Writer
- Community Manager (Elizabeth, NJ)
- Morris County Site Lead
- MIT App inventor Lead