The Corner Community Center and the Baltimore Job Hunters Support Group would like to host a series of events during the week of October 14-18, 2018 in honor of Freedom from Workplace Bullying Week. Workplace Bullying is an increasing problem in the US and around the world.
Workplace Bullying is repeated, health-harming mistreatment of one or more persons (the targets) by one or more perpetrators. It is abusive conduct that is :
- Threatening, humiliating, or intimidating, or
- Work interference - sabotage - which prevents work from getting done, or
- Verbal abuse
We are recruiting for the following positions and committees:
Event Chair - the Chair provides leadership for the entire event planning process; orchestrating the overall production, providing guidance to volunteers as needed, and making the final decisions. The Chair is the spokesperson for the entire group - articulating the goals and progress of the event, and providing an event evaluation to the organization’s executive members.
The ideal candidate must possess strong organizational skills complemented by flexibility, be able to lay the ground work and coordinate resources to maximize productivity, and achieve objectives under a great deal of stress, deadlines and, sometimes, chaos. Their leadership style cultivates team building through trust and nurturing relationships, ultimately creating unanimity amongst committee members.
- Oversee the entire event and planning process
- Establish a task management schedule
- Recruit key volunteers and motivate committee members to chair various committees
- Communicate responsibilities and ensure objectives are met
- Ensure communication between committees is active and productive
- Chair committee meetings and foster an environment that generates new and exciting ideas
- Act as liaison between committee chairpersons and community organizations
- Establish budget and maintain financial controls
- Responsible for all final decisions
- Responsible for committee succession planning
Marketing & Promotions Committee - oversees all marketing aspects of each subcommittee as well as providing all advertising and promotion needs for the event. The committee is responsible for the design of all materials, from signage and brochures, to tickets, programs and catalogues. The committee also prepares all press releases and interacts with all levels of media. The ideal Chair of this committee will be creative, fun and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Research all promotional opportunities and create a promotion schedule
- Develop a comprehensive media contact list
- Create and distribute media package, press releases and follow-up advertising
- Contract resources for graphic design of all artwork related to the event
- Oversee layout and printing of all materials
- Assist with design of signage, including sponsor recognition
- Oversee design and final copy of video presentations
- Develop event programs and catalogues
- Oversee layout and content of event website
- Select take-away and/or thank you gifts
- Establish Media VIP Invitation list
- Coordinate post-event thank you ad
Marketing and promotions is the window to your event - let supporters and the general public see what all the excitement is about!
Ticket Sales Committee - is responsible for mailing invitations and selling tickets. Ideally, the Chair of this committee is well connected in the community, has excellent verbal communication skills, and is not afraid to sell. They understand the importance of putting bums in seats!
- Update invitation list, and pursues all avenues to create a broader audience
- Oversee the design and printing of invitations and tickets
- Manage the distribution of invitations and tickets in the most cost-effective and efficient manner
- Establish method of sales and payment options
- Provide a reconciliation of ticket sales and manage outstanding payments
Finance Committee - is responsible for the financial control of the event, managing the revenue and expenses and recording procedures. The Chair of this committee should have a thorough understanding of bookkeeping practices and implement fiscal controls to reduce expenses and increase revenues.
- Develop comprehensive event budget based on historical data, fundraising goal and input from committee chairs
- Establish financial policies and operations, where required
- Review all contracts and manage payment of invoices for service
- Maintain financial records and prepare final accounting of net revenues
- Issues tax receipts, where required
Sponsorship Committee - recognizes all sponsorable elements of the event and manages plans for solicitation of individual and corporate sponsors. The committee ensures supporters receive all benefits as outlined in sponsor agreements and recognition for their financial contributions prior to, during and after the event. Much like the Chair of the Tickets Sales Committee, the Chair of Sponsorship is well connected in the community, has excellent written and verbal communication skills, and is not afraid to sell. This individual does not get discouraged by people who say no - their tenacity eventually pays off.
- Establish a list of all potential sponsor opportunities at varying financial levels
- Establish a list of all potential sponsors
- Assist with developing a sponsor package
- Manage a database of contacts, requests and outcomes
- Record and report sponsorship status to the Event Chair and Finance Committee
- Maintain accurate list of supporters and ensure benefits and recognition commitments are fulfilled before, during and after the event
- Write thank you letters to all supporters
Production Committee - coordinates and oversees the set-up, production and clean-up of the event. All operational decisions are handled by this committee, including catering, décor, entertainment, and guest speakers. The ideal candidate for Chair is well organized, creative and able to multi-task in a fast paced, high energy environment. A little creativity and positive attitude goes a long way when dealing with a multitude of individuals in the days leading up to the event.
- Work with all committee chairs, specifically the Event Chair, in developing the event concept.
- Liaison with event facility, negotiating contracts, required services, layout and communications with facility management
- Establish the show-flow: a detailed schedule of the event that coordinates all activities with a precise time frame that ensures a smooth flow from start to finish
- Seek appropriate entertainment options to suit the event theme, handles contract negotiations, and coordinates all technical requirements
- Liaison with catering to establish menu and bar service plans, negotiating fees and scheduling tastings
- Clearly understand and follow all policies and regulations are followed with respect to bar service, including ensuring required permits are obtained and reporting completed (if necessary)
- Oversee the décor requirements, assisting with securing service providers and negotiating contracts
- Oversee seating arrangements, including premier/preferred placement of sponsors and invited guests
- Work with Auction Committee to establish opening and closing times for silent auction and the schedule for live auction items
- Oversee set up and strike of production services (entertainment, A/V company, etc)
- Schedule equipment and supply returns
Volunteer Committee - recruits volunteers for all event committees, ensuring they bring a required level of skills and experience, and fosters an environment that promotes self-motivation and ambition to act on their own initiative as well as embracing team-concept. The ideal Chair of the volunteer committee is a "people-person" and has the ability to create groups that are much greater than the sum of their parts; recognizes and cultivates the potential in others; and infuse energy into members of the team.
- Establish a comprehensive list of potential volunteers and recruits for specific event tasks
- Work with Chairs to develop a list of committee-specific jobs including time commitments and level of difficulty
- Assist committees to establish a volunteer schedule including replacement help when needed
- Establish a protocol for volunteer recognition
- Create opportunities for volunteer succession planning through mentor program and post-event evaluations
- Ensure the volunteer experience is meaningful, fulfilling and, most importantly, fun!
Program Committee - secures expert speakers and workshop leaders. Committee Members will identify speakers, topics to be addressed, program agenda, etc. At least one day should be dedicated to employers and one for employees.
- Work with Event Chair to establish total event costs
- Assign members to act as liaison to each speaker or presenter
- Work with Sponsorship Committee to procure conference and hotel rooms, etc. for speakers at reduced rates
- Create auction list, including item description, value and any related restrictions
- Work with Promotions to develop and print a program
- Create a video or photo presentation for online advertising
- Employment Law
- Life Coaching
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Human Resources Diversity
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Bimonthly meetings, 2-5 hours per week
- Millennial Navigators Group...
- Special Events/Fundraising...
- Job Counselor/Coach
- Social Media Manager
- Advisory Board Coordinator and...
- Resume Coach
- Event Chair and Committee...
- Director of Development, Corner...
- Baltimore Job Hunters Support...
- Research Assistant
- Data Entry Specialist
- Baltimore SPARK/Freelancers...