Every year the World Affairs Council of Kentucky and Southern Indiana hosts a number of young international students through several exchange programs. Not only do these exchanges give adolescents and young adults the ability to broaden their education and experiences as global citizens, it also gives the local families who host them an inimitable experience in cultural exchange.
All of our host families receive complementary six-month World Traveler memberships to the World Affairs Council.On weekdays, visitors are in programming about leadership activities, volunteerism, and their specific program sub-themes from morning until early evening (usually ending around 5:00pm).
Evenings are left free but there are occasional outings for baseball games or shopping. We generally do cultural activities as a group on Saturdays. Past examples have included a trip to Mammoth Cave, Holiday World, etc. (hosts are welcome but not required to attend). Sundays are left free for host family time as well as time to rest.
We do not require that hosts assist with transportation and can coordinate pick-ups and drop-offs, but assistance and carpooling is encouraged if possible. As we often tell our hosts, we do not expect that their lives come to a halt during the program. Our visiting adults and/or students are kept busy, and in the past, other hosts have been happy to help when needed. We can arrange for other plans and activities during times of an evening conflict, for example.
- Provide a private sleeping area (adults visitors/students may share rooms but need separate beds)
- Include the guest(s) in breakfast and dinner
- Share your city with them!
For all these programs, the World Affairs Council Provides:
- Professional and cultural programming
- All necessary transportation to and from meetings
- All in-home orientation for hosts
- Orientation and cultural programming for visitors
If you’re interested in hosting a student, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- People Skills
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Varies. Typically two weeks long.
- Must provide a private sleeping area and separate bed. Include guest(s) in breakfast and dinner.