Position Title : Gynecologist
Location : CCF Community Medical Centre, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Salary/Stipend : This is a voluntary position with no salary.
Duration : 1 - 2 weeks
Founded in 2004, Cambodian Children’s Fund (CCF) provides life-changing education, nourishment and healing to vulnerable children from some of Cambodia’s most destitute communities. This well respected NGO cares for more than 2,000 students and 10,000 people annually, providing to entire families and communities in crisis. For the children of the Steung Meanchey area, education is their lifeline out of poverty and CCF offers a solid education aimed at providing hope, opportunity and security.
In 2012, CCF was recognised as having "one of the world’s best initiatives in innovative education", becoming the first organisation in South-East Asia to win a WISE Award. The Cambodian Children's Fund is known for delivering a world class, model of education that provides transformational opportunities for impoverished young people in a learning community committed to quality and excellence. In order to meet its core mission, CCF has evolved and developed in a unique way that distinguishes it from other NGOs which focus on single or limited program delivery. CCFs programs have expanded to ensure that the families of the children who attend CCF are also supported, with more than 64 programs - everything from health care to debt alleviation programs - all of which exist to support the main goal of providing a consistent, high quality education to the children of Steung Meanchey.
The work of CCF in Cambodia is supported by relationship development and fundraising in USA, Australia, UK and Hong Kong, all of which are managed by appointed Boards.
BEING A VOLUNTEER AT CCF
Volunteers at CCF not only participate within our organisation as highly valued and respected members of our team, but also as a huge part of our development and growth framework. Working to build capacity, volunteer placements focus on sharing valuable knowledge and skills with CCF staff and students- either within a set position, project or via on-the-job training or workshops. Placements are extremely rewarding and allow volunteers a hands-on opportunity to help grow and develop the very core of our organisation. By working with CCF, volunteers assist in empowering our local staff and students to truly become, not only educated and accomplished professionals, but the future leaders of this country.
This role is for an experienced gynecologist to spend 1 - 2 weeks at CCF’s community medical clinic and Maternal Care clinic, providing lectures related to their specialism, updating guidelines in their specialism, and assisting the medical team on consultations. The aim of this role is to build capacity in our medical team, and advise as to whether the medical clinic is operating to the best standard possible in your specialism.
The CCF medical clinic only has the capacity for outpatients and internal medicine. There are 25 medical staff (including 5 doctors) on the team, all of whom speak good but not fluent English. On site there is an ECG machine and an ultrasound machine.
Activities can include:
- 1 - 2 afternoon lectures per week to medical staff. The topic(s) and format for this will be negotiated and planned before arrival.
- Attend appointments specific to disorders and illnesses related to women’s health and their reproductive systems.
WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH
- CCF Medical Doctor (line manager)
- Community Medical Centre team
- Maternal Care program team
- Pre prepared training materials delivered to medical professionals at CCF community medical clinic.
- Promotion of best medical practice in all aspects of medical and maternal health care.
- CCF staff can evaluate patients through questions, examinations, symptom review, and medical testing and understand how to tailor these when dealing with gynecological issues.
- CCF staff are able to successfully analyse patient test results, set patient goals and discuss treatment and management plans.
- CCF staff are able to document patient records and progress including symptoms, medications and treatments, and provide patient with the tools and methods for recovery and better quality of life.
- Doctor of Medicine (medicine degree)
- Successful completion of 2 year residency (or country equivalent).
- Required medical license to practice.
- Strong desire to help people and improve their daily lives.
- Compassionate and sensitive to patients’ needs and concerns.
- Able to multi task, prioritise, and manage time efficiently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exhibits patience and understanding.
- Great interpersonal relations, communications, and demeanor.
- At least 2 years as a gynecologist in a public or private capacity.
Desirable additional skill:
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English.
- Experience in teaching an asset.
- Experience of working with non-native English speakers desirable.
The recruiting panel will need to feel confident that the successful candidate understands the CCF values and demonstrates associated behaviors.
- Able to demonstrate CCF values in day-to-day work
- Work well in a team, particularly within different cultures
- Motivated self-starter
- Responsible and accountable
- Report on expected outcomes of placement activities and share any produced materials with CCF
OTHER BITS& PIECES
At CCF we care for a lot of children and their families- but we also care about you. To ensure
that everyone is safe we require all volunteers to provide:
- A federal level police screening from your country of residence to ensure you are safe to work with children
- Two references we can contact for additional background checks
- Copy of your valid passport
- A passport photo
- Proof of your relevant qualifications
- Travel Insurance for the duration of your placement at CCF (medical evacuation coverage at a minimum)
Apply by filling out the Volunteer Application form on the CCF website ( www.cambodianchildrensfund.org/volunteer). Please also send your CV and qualifications if relevant and mention the role you are applying for.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Diagnostic Imaging Specialist/...
- Pediatric Specialist
- Gastroenterology specialist
- General Medicine Doctor
- Kindergarten Teacher Training...
- Business / Systems Analyst
- Family Doctor
- Leadership Trainer English...
- Pediatric Specialist
- Team Training Coach for...
- Open Application – Specialist...
- Junior Leaders Trainer
- Social Media Analytics Coordinator