Homeless and low-income people in and around Seattle are bearing witness to the real consequences of policy decisions, not enough jobs that pay a living wage, rising costs of living and shortage of affordable healthcare options. They are often hearing about things that are concerning to them, but lack the connections and resources to find out more and learn about how those issues will affect them. The Editorial Committee is a group that solicits these concerns, ideas and opinions for our reporting team to consider as they produce the Real Change newspaper. The group meets for 90 minutes each week to brainstorm story ideas for the Real Change newspaper, reviews the paper, and occasionally votes on unsolicited submissions.
The Editorial Committee Facilitator assists Real Change Newspaper's Editorial Committee by facilitating conversation and soliciting editorial content from committee participants.
Individuals who are ideal in this role have a background in journalism and have experience working directly with people who are homeless or experiencing crisis, or have experienced homelessness themselves. A commitment of one year is required.
- Shepherds the committee through brainstorming sessions, taking care that everyone is heard and that ideas flow freely
- Assists in the shaping of ideas generated into viable story ideas for assignment to reporters
- Creates weekly agenda with support from the Editor
- Communicates outcomes to the Editor
- May take notes from meeting if notetaker is unavailable
- A good understanding of group creative dynamics
- Familiarity with journalism and the story creation process
- Strong listening and effective communication skills
- Ability to create and maintain a safe environment
- Understanding of issues faced by those who are homeless
- Detail oriented, committed to quality
- Commitment to social, racial and economic justice
- People Skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Group Facilitation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Tuesdays from 12pm-1:30pm; weekly or bi-weekly