FHP is restoring a house very important to the City of Iowa City. There are a number of tasks that need to be completed. In return we can teach you how to learn tasks that are fun, easy, and may save you thousands of dollars in your own home repair or remodel.
Tasks that need to be complete include:
- Hanging drywall
- Drywall taping, sanding and joining old plaster and new drywall together
- Repairing plaster
- Window restoration (far more energy efficient and last forever for $50 vs buying a vinyl window for $500 and having to replace it in 11 years)
- Repairing/refinishing shellac (if woodwork has "alligatored"/bubbled into crusty dark bumps)
- Floor restoration (restoring your hardwood floors without sanding)
- Stripping paint with an eco-friendly, nontoxic, soy-based paint and finish stripper.
- Interior priming/painting (we can even teach you how to paint a stairwell)
- Taping for painters
- Wood repair
- Building simple cabinetry & cellar doors (at specific times)
- Safely removing lead paint
- Porch restoration/restoration
- 20-year exterior paint job (when it is no longer freezing at night)
- Planting (after ground thaws)
- Interior / Exterior Decorating
- Home Repair
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- As much or as little time as you want
- Will except court ordered community service, with the exception of those convicted of violent crime.