Biography / Family History Volunteer
Purpose: To engage patients in memory activities and help to record their stories for their families and future generations.
- Create biography questions
- Ex: What is your favorite holiday memory?
- Share a story about a teacher you had in school
- What was your neighborhood like growing up?
- Ask patient your biography questions
- Write down the patient's answers
- Compile the answers and record them in a typed format
- Print off the typed answers and give to the patient to share with their family
- Facility Group Activity
- Ask all members in a group of 5 - 10 individuals the same question
- Record their answers
- Create a bulletin board displaying their answers
- Give questions to facility staff so they can help record answers for all residents
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Be understanding of possible cognitive limitations of residents
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Undergo health and safety screenings, including TB test and flu shot
- Frequent visits as needed to complete written project and present it to family
- Training will be provided for this position
Volunteers are an integral part of our team and the service they provide helps us to continue to fulfill our mission. Thank you for answering the call to serve.
- Hospice Care
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Frequent visits as needed
- Health and Safety Screenings including TB test and flu shot
- Hospice Bereavement Volunteer
- Phone-A-Friend Volunteer
- Birthday Brigade
- Friendly Pet Visitor
- "On My Own" Hospice Volunteer
- Vigil Volunteer
- Volunteer Hair Stylist
- Veteran-to-Veteran Hospice...
- Administrative Support
- Spiritual Support Hospice...
- Musical Moments Hospice Volunteer
- Comfort Companion Hospice...
- Biography / Family History...
- Support Group facilitator
- Craft Leader
- Massage Therapy Hospice Volunteer