- Ensure the site services provided are free (at no cost to the taxpayers) for all taxpayers who qualify to receive assistance from the program.
- Ensure that the site opens as scheduled and is adequately staffed.
- Ensure access to telephone, copier, storage space, and ability to maintain customer privacy.
- Maintain relationship with Coordinator for obtaining site materials and other pertinent information.
- Make certain that sufficient tax forms and supplies and reference materials are available and properly used by volunteers.
- Immediately notify Coordinator and SPEC (IRS) of any necessary changes to site operating days and/or hours.
- Maintain schedules for volunteers to work at sites; list all volunteers scheduled for each date and their home phone numbers, ensure volunteers sign in & out and state how many hours worked each day.
- Collaboratively work with Coordinator to obtain listing of volunteers that have successfully passed the Volunteer Tax training and certification.
- Ensure that adequate volunteer coverage, supplies, and equipment is scheduled/maintained at Volunteer Tax site.
- Maintain a Volunteer Log.
- Monitor customer traffic against available volunteers.
- Provide customers with information on other sites, assistance dates and/or time if they are turned away.
- Ensure that customers with more difficult tax questions are either referred to the appropriate IRS publication, help line or advised to seek the assistance of a professional preparer.
- Provide technical assistance and encourage volunteers to use the IRS toll-free Volunteer Hotline.
- Act as liaison between volunteers, the volunteer site and Coordinator.
- If necessary, compile timely statistical reports and provide to Coordinator and/or IRS.
- Monitor site to ensure quality review is being conducted, privacy is being maintained and the Site Identification Number is being annotated on each return.
- Verify that all computers have the correct EFIN & SIDN in the software defaults for both Form 1040 and Form 8879.
- Complete approved Site Coordinator Training
- Certify through the advanced level as a VITA tax preparer for the current tax year using IRS-developed material
- Site Coordinator shall be designated the software "Administrator" and will be responsible for setting up user accounts for all approved volunteers
- Complete monthly reports to the IRS regarding number of volunteers working at
site and their level of certification
- Make sure all volunteers receive IRS quality alerts during the tax season
- Become familiar with IRS quality standards and ensure they are followed
- Ensure all tax returns are transmitted in a timely manner and follow up on returns that may have issues
- ETC / Tax Assistance
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 25 hours per week
- VITA Certification Tests