Becoming a free tax volunteer is a rewarding way to learn new skills, make friends, and strengthen the community. You don't have to be good with numbers you just have to enjoy helping people!
Position Summary: Learn to prepare taxes and make a difference at the same time. Help your community in preparing taxes free of charge as a volunteer with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. Goodwill Industries of Dallas has the second largest VITA program in the Dallas area, returning thousands of dollars to working families through qualifying tax credits and deductions. Volunteers are needed M-F 8:00 - 3:00 PM throughout tax season.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Escort tax clients from Goodwill lobby to the tax preparation room.
2. Assist clients through tax return software in one-on-one consultations. Prepare basic tax returns, including tax deductions and credits that benefit eligible taxpayers. These include credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly.
3. Answer client questions on tax returns based on knowledge preparing tax forms in IRS training. Assist clients with follow up appointments for tax returns.
4. Provide additional follow-up support and communication as requested by Asset Growth Manager.
5. Pass the Goodwill background check process and maintain the highest level of ethics and responsibility in managing the personal information of clients.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in computer skills
- Strong professional and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficient in English; bilingual (Spanish) a plus
- Teaching, workplace training or mentoring background recommended
- Must commit to a one week online training session
- 3-5 hours per week minimum during tax season
For more information, please contact to Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com and visit: https://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Seven-Good-Reasons-Why-You-Should-Become-a-Tax-Volunteer
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One week online training