Careers Director - Orange County
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
ChickTech Orange County is recruiting for a Careers Director position. This is a leadership position that can be shared with another individual, however candidates must be willing to take on the position on their own and assist with the recruitment of a co-lead if one is wanted. This role is responsible for ensuring the success of our ChickTech Careers Program. Our Careers program consists of workshops and other events that we offer to our members at low cost. This program is open to all genders college age and up and is meant to inspire and empower attendees to pursue or continue a career in tech.
This volunteer opportunity could be for you if you have/are:
- Currently employed (business owners and recruiters are welcome!)
- Experience in the tech industry
- 2 years’ experience planning events
- 3+ years leading a team of people
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- An entrepreneurial and solution-oriented mindset
- The ability to understand "What’s in it for others"
- Strong work ethic, appreciation for work, and a demonstrated understanding that there is no work beneath anybody.
- Be willing to be ultimately accountable and get the job done, even if you have to do it yourself
- Ability to stretch a dollar and appreciation that money "Doesn’t grow on trees"
- Have previously attended ChickTech events before
Nice to Have
- Experience working on programs that promote and support women in their careers
- Experience working on Diversity and Inclusion initiatives or experience working with underserved communities
- Sales, Business Development, or Fundraising Experience
- Understanding or willingness to learn about the nuances of the OC Job Market, particularly in the tech industry
- Experience in Human Resources
Careers Director(s) will have the following requirements and responsibilities:
Leadership Team Responsibilities
- Commit to a one-year term
- Have 8-10 hours/week availability
- Sign a leadership team agreement describing expectations and responsibilities
- Be an external voice for ChickTech
- Attend monthly virtual or in-person leadership team meetings
- Ensure that all careers programs are profitable and that no event loses money.
- Assist with the long-term sustainability of the chapter by meeting a Chapter Development goal.
- Find opportunities to promote our work, volunteers, and impact in the community
- Demonstrate an understanding of the unique needs of our members, chapter, and other stakeholders.
- Find and incubate strategic partnerships and relationships with organizations, schools, and businesses
- Oversee that volunteers that report to this role are making progress towards achieving their Chapter Development Goal and enforcing our Chapter Development policy.
- Promote our ChickTech Jobs Board
Career Workshops Planning
- Develop workplan for fiscal year offering at least two Careers Events a month.
- Identify and review opportunities for Community Partner Events (events that other organizations host or we partner with on attending/organizing)
- Careers events must focus on different aspects of fulfilling our mission of both recruitment and retention (e.g. not all topics should be on how to get a job)
- Ensure that all careers events are revenue generating or have a clear path to revenue generation.
- Ensure the Chapter documents best practices and maintains historical knowledge
- Ensure that our programs demonstrate our commitment to diversity and inclusion through our target audience, content, outreach, location.
- Find opportunities to promote our own members and volunteers before going outside of our organization (e.g. do we have qualified volunteers who can speak on a topic or teach a workshop)
- Recruit qualified speakers to facilitate workshops (and must be willing to promote our events)
Career Events Logistics
- Attend careers events
- Obtain donated event space for our events
- Ensure that events are held all across Orange County (not just Irvine) in order to demonstrate our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- Career event locations must alternate each month and this role must be willing to travel across the County to ensure we are effective in our outreach
- Meet with people in OC who can hire and promote our members and obtain feedback on what gaps there are that hinder the ability for our members to be hired and promoted.
- Develop programming based on that feedback
- Ensure that we are offering programs in various parts of the County to demonstrate our commitment to diversity and inclusion
What’s in It for You:
- An opportunity to lead a growing organization and change lives for Women and Girls in Orange County
- The ability to build and strengthen your leadership skills outside of a traditional work setting.
- Opportunities to network and build relationships in the OC Tech Industry
- Opportunities to network on a national level with leaders of our sister chapters across the globe
- Business growth and development experience
- Invitations to speak at events, serve on other leadership and advisory boards
- Opportunity to serve underserved and underrepresented members of our community by providing them career and educational options and opportunities.
-Volunteer appreciation events
-Free admission to our ChickTech Careers Events
If you are interested, please complete the following:
1. Fill out our Volunteer Application: https://airtable.com/shrmfeOTpwr0qfHk5
2. Submit a cover letter to Christine Lambino-Cunliffe at email@example.com detailing the following:
- Your understanding of ChickTech and what problems we try to solve
- Your understanding of this role and how this role will influence the problems we try to solve in question 1.
- Your understanding of what are some of the unique challenges women and those who identify as female face in the tech industry
- Your interest and qualifications for this role in particular: Provide examples of previous work to support and retain women in tech; Provide examples that demonstrate your understanding and commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- What ChickTech events you have attended or volunteered at (mandatory for consideration for this role. If you have not attended a ChickTech event, you cannot apply for this role until you have done so)
Please include a copy of your resume in your email.
This is not a volunteer opportunity for someone looking to take on this role for the sole purpose of landing a job. We expect that the right person for this role will take the initiative to learn about us first (e.g. attend our events, be an active volunteer) and only after doing so, provide solution-oriented suggestions for growth and improvement. You will be asked to participate in 1-2 interviews with other Orange County leadership team members.
Expect about a 4-8 week onboarding process. During that time you will be introduced to our chapter and expected to learn the ins and outs of not only our Chapter, but the OC Tech Community as well as our peer organizations.
We will have you lead events and initiatives to expose you to the values and processes of our chapter and make sure you are willing to do the necessary work. You will also be required to learn our Chapter Development process and make progress towards your Chapter Development Goal before becoming part of the leadership team.
We'll work with your schedule.
Orange CountyIrvine, CA 92618
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Orientation or Training
- 8-10 hrs per week
- In order to ensure our chapter's financial sustainability in the future, all volunteers are required to assist with Chapter Development.