Are you passionate about gardening, nature, or working outdoors with children? If so, consider volunteering with the Sauvie Island Center! Volunteers lead small groups of elementary school students through interactive, hands-on, farm-based lessons on plant life cycles, pollination, soil science and more.
A trip to the Sauvie Island Center is a rich and unique opportunity for Portland youth to visit and explore Sauvie Island Organics farm and the grounds of Howell Territorial Park.Volunteer Farm Educators are essential to the success of our program! As a Sauvie Island Center volunteer you will:
- Gain experience in environmental education and gardening.
- Spend your days outside on beautiful Sauvie Island.
- Become a member of a dynamic and energetic team of educators.
- Taste fresh produce from Sauvie Island Organics farm.
- Plant the seeds of knowledge and stewardship in local youth.
- Passion for connecting kids with the food they eat.
- Positive, 'can do’ attitude.
- Ability to work outdoors in variable climatic conditions and on uneven terrain.
- Ability to pass background check.
Spring 2018 field trips begin Monday, April 9 th and run through Friday, June 15 th. Each trip is approximately a 5 hour volunteer day from 9:00am - 2:00pm. Our trained educators are asked to commit to leading a minimum of 5 field trips during the season. Volunteers who serve at least 50 hours during the season will be eligible to receive a box of fresh produce from the farm.
Volunteer Farm Educator Training will be held Friday, April 6 th, 2018 at Howell Territorial Park. Alternate training can be organized on an individual basis.
Please complete the short volunteer application form found on our website: http://www.sauvieislandcenter.org/get-involved/volunteer/
For more information contact Sarah Philips, Education Program Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-341-8627.
The Sauvie Island Center is committed to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, and those we serve. People of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Teaching / Instruction
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Minimum of 5 field trip days through season