Special Events Intern
Horizons for Youth is a community committed to helping children recognize and achieve their full potential. In partnership with dedicated parents, we provide need-based scholarships, one-on-one mentoring, and various enrichment programs. We currently serve 265 children in grades K-college from both private and public schools.
Overview: The Special Events Intern will help to advance the growth efforts of Horizons for Youth by supporting the Development and Program Staff. The Special Events Intern will work with various staff members to ensure all fundraising and programmatic events run smoothly, efficiently, and effectively. The Special Events Intern will report directly to the Development & Events Manager. This is an unpaid internship.
Schedule: The Special Events Intern position is part-time with a flexible work schedule of 16 hours per week. Some evenings and weekends are required for meetings and events. This position would begin as soon as possible and end in mid-May, with possible opportunity to continue. Applicant must be available the entire day of Saturday, April 28 th, 2018.
Qualifications: Prior event experience is necessary. Given the demands of this role, the Special Events Intern must possess extraordinary organization skills, high attention to detail, time management skills, communication skills, personal initiative, interpersonal skills, creativity, and sensitivity. Experience with fundraising events and the population Horizons for Youth serves a plus.
No Ordinary Evening fundraising gala (April 28 th, 2018)
- Sit down dinner, live band, dancing, live and silent auction for 650+ people
- Responsibilities include:
- Assist with the coordination of the live and silent auctions, including tracking and acknowledging donated items and designing auction set-up
- Support the maintenance of the guest list and RSVP tracking
- Attend No Ordinary Evening
- Other responsibilities as needed
Student Enrichment Outings
- Assist in organizing logistics for enrichment outings for our almost 200 elementary school students and their mentors
- Dates of upcoming outings: March 24 th and May 5 th
- Attendance at outings is encouraged, but not mandatory
- Support the planning of the Senior Dinner on May 16 th
- Ensure that Senior Dinner is a meaningful and special event for our 13 seniors and their families
- Recognize corporate sponsors for their support of the Senior Dinner
- Assist in making sure that Senior Dinner is used to appropriately cultivate existing and future donors to Horizons for Youth
- Attendance at Senior Dinner is encouraged, but not mandatory
- Support the planning of the End-of-Year Celebration on June 9 th
- Ensure that the End-of-Year Celebration is a meaningful event for our students and families
- Assist with appropriately recognizing corporate sponsors for their support
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 19, 2018.
- Event Design & Planning
- Event Management
- Event Planning / Management
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 16 hrs/wk